Re: [json] Licensing [was: Re: Introduction Date and Function objects...]

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
      On 6/3/06, Kevin Smith <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" wrote:

      <snip/>

      > I'd suggest the Apache License 2.0, which pretty much says you can
      > > do whatever you want with the software as long as you keep the
      > > original license in place.
      >
      > Except that Apache License 2.0 code (arguably) can't be linked with
      > GPL software, which is unfortunate.

      No, that's not the case (and there is no "arguably" ;), at least from an ASF
      perspective.

      There is a policy in place at the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) that
      states that ASF projects cannot have required dependencies on, or bundle,
      libraries licensed under the GPL or certain other licenses. What that means
      is that whenever you download ASF software, you can be absolutely sure that
      there are no "tricks up our sleeve" and you do not suddenly find yourself
      using additional software, with incompatible licenses, that you may not have
      expected.

      That is _completely_ different from what you, as a user of ASF software,
      choose to do with it. If you want to build an application that includes ASF
      and GPL software, that is absolutely fine with the ASF.

      For widest compatibility with
      > other licenses, I prefer the MIT-style license, which is even more
      > liberal. The LGPL also tends to work well with proprietary and Free
      > software.

      I'd agree that the MIT license is very flexible, but I'd suggest caution
      with the LGPL in a business environment. But this is getting way off-topic
      for this list...

      Kevin