RE: [json] Why quote keys?

  • Atif Aziz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2006
      An explanation can be found in message #187:

      Quoting the relevant passage here for convenience...

      "JSON requires that keys be quoted because of an error in the
      ECMAScript spec that disallows the use of unquoted reserved words as
      keys. The list of reserved words is surprisingly long and difficult to
      remember. The best practice is to always quote keys."

      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2006
        Hi,

        I'd like to know if there's any "standard" procedure to send back a two
        dimensional array from a PHP server program to a Javascript client program.

        I want to send a table with rows and columns into an array in Javascript.
        Does anyone have any sample code in PHP?

        Thanks

        Pablo
      • Philip Tellis
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2006
          Sometime Today, PV cobbled together some glyphs to say:

          > I'd like to know if there's any "standard" procedure to send back a two
          > dimensional array from a PHP server program to a Javascript client program.

          php:
          $foo = array( array(1, 2, 3), array(4, 5, 6), array(7, 8, 9));
          print json_encode($foo);

          javascript:
          var foo = eval('(' + json + ')');

          alert(foo[0][0]);

          --
          The first time, it's a KLUDGE!
          The second, a trick.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2006
            Oops. Well now all of you know what kind of absolute beginner I am!

            Thanks

            Pablo