Re: [json] never mind the backslash. a double-quote dies. Where is the outrage?

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 9:55 PM
      > Ok, I should have said "a serious flaw in the json.py library"

      The json.py library definitely has some problems. I've found a few
      flaws in the way it encodes strings, which I've sent back to Patrick
      as patches. I'm only using write() method.

      -mike.

      michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2 11:24 PM
        jonschull5 wrote:
        > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in JSON...
        >
        > For any object o, it should be true that
        >
        > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
        >
        > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}

        In E, this gives a syntax error as it should:

        ? term`{'a':' " '}`
        # syntax error:
        # {'a':' " '}
        # ^

        Cheers,
        --MarkM
      • jemptymethod
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3 4:07 AM
          Since it's Python, an option might be to access Mr Crockford's Java
          implementation of JSON, via Jython.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3 9:20 AM
            oops. Editing error from the Python interpreter. The resulting json representation should look something like...

            {"a":" \" "}

            -Patrick

          • jonschull5
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6 3:58 PM
              Just thought I'd put it on record that both Patrick Logan and Neil
              Schemenauer promptly fixed and updated their python json libraries.
              Logan: https://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/
              Schemenauer: http://arctrix.com/nas/python/json-1.1.tar.gz

              While they have slightly different output formats (Neil's is more
              verbose, but more human-readable) they seem to be interoperable with
              each other and with Crockford's javascript library (which is as it
              should be).

              Thanks to all!

              Jon
              http://jonschull.blogspot.com