new c++ binding

  • Joe Pruett
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28, 2006
      i wanted to use json in a c++ program, but the zoolib library was just too
      big to deal with. so i sat down and wrote my own. anyone out there feel
      like doing some testing on it?

      the tgz is sitting at:

      http://q7.com/~joey/JSON.tgz

      documentation is sparse, but so is the code :-). please send me any
      feedback you have and if people are happy mr. crockford has said he'll put
      a link to it up on the site (don't do that yet, though).
    • q7joey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        well, it has been a while now and i've seen a fair number of
        downloads, but so far i've gotten no feedback. i see a few
        possibilities.

        1. my code is so perfect that nothing needs to be said.
        2. the code is so horrible that people are spontaneously combusting
        when they look at it.
        3. the code has become sentient and has taken over anybody's machine
        that has downloaded it and it has also disabled email so that no one
        will catch on to its evil plans.
        4. the nsa?

        does anyone have feedback for me (public or private) about the c++
        binding? does it do everything a json binding should? does it do it
        in a way that makes sense? how much more documentation does it need?
        did it compile ok for you?

        hoping to hear something...
      • Lindsay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
          q7joey wrote:
          > well, it has been a while now and i've seen a fair number of
          > downloads, but so far i've gotten no feedback. i see a few
          > possibilities.
          >
          > 1. my code is so perfect that nothing needs to be said.
          > 2. the code is so horrible that people are spontaneously combusting
          > when they look at it.
          > 3. the code has become sentient and has taken over anybody's machine
          > that has downloaded it and it has also disabled email so that no one
          > will catch on to its evil plans.
          > 4. the nsa?

          You forgot option 5 - no ones is developing json enabled c++ apps :(

          --
          Lindsay
        • Joe Pruett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
            > You forgot option 5 - no ones is developing json enabled c++ apps :(

            if i had't seen any downloads, that would make sense. but i've seen more
            than 20 brave souls grabbing the code.
          • Lindsay
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
              Joe Pruett wrote:
              >> You forgot option 5 - no ones is developing json enabled c++ apps :(
              >>

              > if i had't seen any downloads, that would make sense. but i've seen more
              > than 20 brave souls grabbing the code.

              Ah - well then yes - they should be feeding back

              --
              Lindsay

            • Joel Lucsy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                I looked at your code, but couldn't see any advantage over the existing
                project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsoncpp/
                In fact, I found your code harder to read, less concise, and disliked your
                choice of function/class names. Sorry.

                --
                Joel Lucsy
                "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program." --

              • Will Coleda
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                  On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:38 PM, q7joey wrote:

                  > well, it has been a while now and i've seen a fair number of
                  > downloads, but so far i've gotten no feedback. i see a few
                  > possibilities.

                  <SNIP>

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma

                  --
                  Will "Coke" Coleda
                  will@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                    i wasn't aware of that project. the json web site only pointed to the
                    zoolib code, which was a huge system that just happened to include json.
                    i'll take a look at it. i certainly don't want to reinvent things with no
                    appreciable benefit.