Re:[json] My javascript app freezes at eval'uating JSON string returned

  • rancioadams
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2006
      Thanks but no, there's not a CR between "GENERAL DE" and "OBRA". Just
      some problem with the posting here.

      Do the nulls at the end of the string pose a problem to the encoder?

      I'm using the encoder found here:
      http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=198

      Regards.

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

      > --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:
      >
      > > BTW: Here's the string returned by JSON, just in
      > > case:
      > >
      > > ["160","GENERAL DE

      OBRA","HORMIGONERAS","REF.","TIPO","CORRIENTE","P\/HORA","LITRO","","","","","EURO\/DIA","SEG.\/DIA",null,null,null,null]

> [...]
      > implementation of JSON encoder.

      > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rancioadams"
      > > <comomolo@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here's the server code:
      > > content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
      > > > <?php
      > > >
      > > > require_once('JSON.php');
      > > > $json = new Services_JSON();
      > > >
      > > > $con=mysql_connect("xxxxx", "xxxxx", "xxxxx");
      > > >
      > > > if (!$con)
      > > > {
      > > > die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
      > > > }
      > > > mysql_select_db("xxxxx", $con);
      > > >
      > > > $subfamilia = utf8_decode($_GET["subfamilia"]);
      > > >
      > > > $sql = "SELECT * FROM equipos WHERE SUBFAMILIA =
      > > '$subfamilia'";
      > > >
      > > > $query = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
      > > >
      > > > $row = mysql_fetch_row($query);
      > > > echo $json->encode($row);
      > > >
      > > > ?>
      > > >
      > > > And here's the client code:
      > > >
      > > > function getLista(subfamilia)
      > > > {
      > > > var xmlhttp=false;
      > > >
      > > > try
      > > > {
      > > > xmlhttp = new
      > > ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > catch (e)
      > > > {
      > > > try
      > > > {
      > > > xmlhttp = new
      > > ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');
      > > > }
      > > > catch (E)
      > > > {
      > > > xmlhttp = false;
      > > > }
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > if (!xmlhttp && typeof
      > > XMLHttpRequest!='undefined')
      > > > {
      > > > xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > var url = 'scripts/getLista.php?subfamilia=' +
      > > > encodeURIComponent(subfamilia);
      > > >
      > > > xmlhttp.open('GET', url, true);
      > > >
      > > > xmlhttp.onreadystatechange=function()
      > > > {
      > > > switch (xmlhttp.readyState)
      > > > {
      > > > case 1:
      > > >
      > > document.getElementById('lista').innerHTML =
      > > > break;
      > > >
      > > > case 4:
      > > > document.write("before <br />");
      > > >
      > > > document.write(xmlhttp.responseText +
      > > "<br />");
      > > >
      > > > var tabla = eval(xmlhttp.responseText);
      > > > document.write(tabla[2] + "<br />");
      > > >
      > > > document.write("after <br />");
      > > >
      > > > break;
      > > > }
      > > > }
      > > > xmlhttp.send(null)
      > > > return;
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > The behaviour is this:
      > > > - If I comment the eval line, the I can see the
      > > "after" and "before",
      > > > as well as the string returned by JSON from the
      > > PHP code.
      > > >
      > > > - If I un-comment the string, I'll see "after" and

    • MPCM
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2006
        Is there a place you can post your sample string at a website. So that these
        groups can't mangle it?

        --
        Matthew P. C. Morley
        MPCM Technologies Inc.

      • Fang Yidong
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2006
          I know what the problem is now.The line in your client
          code:

          var tabla = eval(xmlhttp.responseText);

          should be:

          --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:

          > Thanks but no, there's not a CR between "GENERAL DE"
          > and "OBRA". Just
          > some problem with the posting here.
          >
          > Do the nulls at the end of the string pose a problem
          > to the encoder?
          >
          > I'm using the enconder found here:

          http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=198

          > Regards.

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong
          > <fangyidong@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:
          > >
          > > > BTW: Here's the string returned by JSON, just in
          > > > case:
          > > >
          > > > ["160","GENERAL DE

          OBRA","HORMIGONERAS","REF.","TIPO","CORRIENTE","P\/HORA","LITRO","","","","","EURO\/DIA","SEG.\/DIA",null,null,null,null]

          > > It seems that there's a CR or LN between 'GENERAL
          > DE'
          > > and 'OBRA' in the result. In JSON , controls
          > should be
          > > escaped, and CR should be escaped as '\r' and LN
          > > should be escaped as '\n'.Choose a correct
          > > implementation of JSON encoder.

          > > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rancioadams"

          > > > content="text/html;charset=utf-8">

          > utf8_decode($_GET["subfamilia"]);

          > =
          > > > '$subfamilia'";

          > die(mysql_error());

          > > > ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');

          > > > ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');

          > > > XMLHttpRequest!='undefined')

          > 'scripts/getLista.php?subfamilia=' +

          > > > document.getElementById('lista').innerHTML =

          > > > "<br />");

          > eval(xmlhttp.responseText);

          > the
          > > > "after" and "before",
          > the
          > > > PHP code.

          > and
          > > > ths JSON string,

          > server
          > > > side
          > > > problem

          > like
          > > > email.

          > > > encoded
          > code
          > put
          > > > the
          > > > javascript
          > "identical"
          > > > string
          > > > suggests the
          > characters.
          > > > I'm

          === message truncated ===

          JSON: Action in AJAX!

          JSON - http://www.json.org

          赶快注册雅虎超大容量免费邮箱?
          http://cn.mail.yahoo.com
        • rancioadams
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2006
            Hi Fang,

            I really appreciate your efforts but I tried that too and it didn't
            work (as a matter of fact, I believe the parenthesis are just a
            "safety measure").

            Now I've been able to solve the problem and what's happening is hard
            to believe for me but I've been testing it thoroughly this afternoon.

            This is what's going on:

            The PHP part is sending a string with 67 characters in front and 2
            characters at the end. IE, instead of the expected string, I get
            something like this:

            garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(67 char)

            I don't have a clue of what produces these characters or what they
            content, but after much testing with string.length and
            string.substring, I came to the conclusion that I have to pass the
            data through the following filter:

            var datos = xmlhttp.responseText;

            datos = datos.substring(67,datos.length-2);

            If I do that, I get the proper string that will eval'uate properly.
            This has nothing to do with the JSON.php stuff. Even if I don't use
            JSON at all, I stil get all that garbage in the same exact numbers.

            Do you have any idea of what's going on here?

            I'm working on UTF-8 all the time, but I don't think this should make
            the difference, does it?

            I'll leave it like that (since it's working), but I would really want
            to know what are all those garbage characters, who puts them there and
            what are they intended for or if there's a bug somewhere that can be
            causing that.

            Regards,

            Pablo

          • rancioadams
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2006
              Sure, but please read my last post.

              I will try to decipher what the string content is. Not tonight
              (tomorrow I must show some working code!), but surely tomorrow night
              or Tuesday.

              If you think you want to work on it a bit, I can upload my files,
              including the database in CSV format, to some FTP server. I just don't
              dare to ask you guys for so much!

              Pablo

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, MPCM <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

              > Is there a place you can post your sample string at a website. So
              that these
              > groups can't mangle it?
              >
              > --
              > Matthew P. C. Morley
              > MPCM Technologies Inc.

            • Mert Sakarya
              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                I recommend using Fiddler (free) or HttpWatcher for examining what's going on between server and the client.
                These tools are for Windows (HttpWatcher works as Internet Explorer Addin, Fiddler captures IO from programs that uses WinInet.dll like Internet Explorer)
                May be the Encoding header and the real stream are different.

                Programming languages
                Format
                Computer security

                Computer training
                Large format
                Cover letter formats

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "json" on the web.

              • rancioadams
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                  Sorry I made a typo down there (is there any way to edit posts?)

                  garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(67 char)

                  should be:

                  garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(2 char)