Re: [json] never mind the backslash. a double-quote dies. Where is the outrage?

  • Jon Schull
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 9:50 PM
      Ok, I should have said "a serious flaw in the json.py library"

      And it turns out to be a problem in the two python libraries I've
      looked at
      (https://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/ and http://python.ca/nas/
      log/)

      I'm surprised the requirement that strings be surrounded by double
      quotes applies to the objects themselves. I don't think we can
      always control the quoting of nested expressions....

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      Jon Schull, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Information Technology
      Rochester Institute of Technology
      102 Lomb Memorial Drive
      Rochester, New York 14623
      schull@... 585-738-6696

      On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Martin Cooper wrote:

      > On 8/2/05, jonschull5 <schull@...> wrote:
      > > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in
      > JSON...
      > >
      > > For any object o, it should be true that
      > >
      > > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
      > >
      > > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}
      >
      > I'm not sure which implementation you're referring to, since JSON is
      > just a spec, but I'm surprised the above even parses as valid JSON.
      > Strings in JSON must be surrounded by double quotes, and single quotes
      > are not valid.
      >
      > --
      > Martin Cooper
      >

      > > ???????????
      > >
      > > A similarly fatal problem arises when I try to jsonize some a DOM
      > > element that includes an onclick method with a quoted argument.
      > This
      > > is not an improbable use case.
      > >
      > > Is there no solution?
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Json Programming languages Format
      > Computer security Computer training Large format
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "json" on the web.

    • Michal Migurski
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2 9:55 PM
        > Ok, I should have said "a serious flaw in the json.py library"

        The json.py library definitely has some problems. I've found a few
        flaws in the way it encodes strings, which I've sent back to Patrick
        as patches. I'm only using write() method.

        -mike.

        michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2 11:24 PM
          jonschull5 wrote:
          > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in JSON...
          >
          > For any object o, it should be true that
          >
          > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
          >
          > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}

          In E, this gives a syntax error as it should:

          ? term`{'a':' " '}`
          # syntax error:
          # {'a':' " '}
          # ^

          Cheers,
          --MarkM
        • jemptymethod
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3 4:07 AM
            Since it's Python, an option might be to access Mr Crockford's Java
            implementation of JSON, via Jython.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3 9:20 AM
              oops. Editing error from the Python interpreter. The resulting json representation should look something like...

              {"a":" \" "}

              -Patrick

            • jonschull5
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6 3:58 PM
                Just thought I'd put it on record that both Patrick Logan and Neil
                Schemenauer promptly fixed and updated their python json libraries.
                Logan: https://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/
                Schemenauer: http://arctrix.com/nas/python/json-1.1.tar.gz

                While they have slightly different output formats (Neil's is more
                verbose, but more human-readable) they seem to be interoperable with
                each other and with Crockford's javascript library (which is as it
                should be).

                Thanks to all!

                Jon
                http://jonschull.blogspot.com