Re:[json] My javascript app freezes at eval'uating JSON string returned

  • Fang Yidong
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2006
      Show your source code of client side and server side
      to us, and maybe we can figure out what the problem
      is.

      --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:

      > Hi everyone. I'm new to this group so I'd like to
      > say hello. My name
      > is Pablo, despite of the dumb name in my email.
      >
      > My little AJAX app doesn't like the JSON encoded
      > strings returned from
      > the PHP part of the app. I mean, the PHP code
      > returns an apparently
      > correct string and I can see the data if I put the
      > JSON string
      > directly into the div element, but my javascript
      > hangs if I try to
      > eval the string. If I create an "identical" string
      > manually, my
      > javascript evaluates it correctly. This suggests the
      > JSON string
      > contains unprintable non-eval'able characters. I'm
      > about to give up
      > and write a little parsing code for this particular
      > need.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Pablo
      >
      > PS: When I'm finished with this little job, I might
      > help with the
      > Spanish translations of the JSON pages.

      > --------------------~-->
      > You can search right from your browser? It's easy
      > and it's free. See how.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

      JSON: Action in AJAX!

      JSON - http://www.json.org

      抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!
      http://cn.mail.yahoo.com
    • rancioadams
      Message 2 of 13 , May 27, 2006
        Here's the server code:
        <?php

        require_once('JSON.php');
        $json = new Services_JSON();

        $con=mysql_connect("xxxxx", "xxxxx", "xxxxx");

        if (!$con)
        {
        die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
        }
        mysql_select_db("xxxxx", $con);

        $subfamilia = utf8_decode($_GET["subfamilia"]);

        $sql = "SELECT * FROM equipos WHERE SUBFAMILIA = '$subfamilia'";

        $query = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());

        $row = mysql_fetch_row($query);
        echo $json->encode($row);

        ?>

        And here's the client code:

        function getLista(subfamilia)
        {
        var xmlhttp=false;

        try
        {
        xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');
        }

        catch (e)
        {
        try
        {
        xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');
        }
        catch (E)
        {
        xmlhttp = false;

        if (!xmlhttp && typeof XMLHttpRequest!='undefined')
        {
        xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
        }

        var url = 'scripts/getLista.php?subfamilia=' +
        encodeURIComponent(subfamilia);

        xmlhttp.open('GET', url, true);

        xmlhttp.onreadystatechange=function()
        {
        switch (xmlhttp.readyState)
        {
        case 1:
        document.getElementById('lista').innerHTML = "Loading...";
        break;

        case 4:
        document.write("before <br />");

        document.write(xmlhttp.responseText + "<br />");

        var tabla = eval(xmlhttp.responseText);
        document.write(tabla[2] + "<br />");

        document.write("after <br />");

        break;
        xmlhttp.send(null)
        return;
        }

        The behaviour is this:
        - If I comment the eval line, the I can see the "after" and "before",
        as well as the string returned by JSON from the PHP code.

        - If I un-comment the string, I'll see "after" and ths JSON string,
        but the app will freeze after that.

        Thanks for any help.

        Pablo

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

        > Show your source code of client side and server side
        > to us, and maybe we can figure out what the problem
        > is.
        >
        > --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:
        >
        > > Hi everyone. I'm new to this group so I'd like to
        > > say hello. My name
        > > is Pablo, despite of the dumb name in my email.
        > >
        > > My little AJAX app doesn't like the JSON encoded
        > > strings returned from
        > > the PHP part of the app. I mean, the PHP code
        > > returns an apparently
        > > correct string and I can see the data if I put the
        > > JSON string
        > > directly into the div element, but my javascript
        > > hangs if I try to
        > > eval the string. If I create an "identical" string
        > > manually, my
        > > javascript evaluates it correctly. This suggests the
        > > JSON string
        > > contains unprintable non-eval'able characters. I'm
        > > about to give up
        > > and write a little parsing code for this particular
        > > need.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Pablo
        > >
        > > PS: When I'm finished with this little job, I might
        > > help with the
        > > Spanish translations of the JSON pages.

        > > --------------------~-->
        > > You can search right from your browser? It's easy
        > > and it's free. See how.
        > >
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

        > JSON: Action in AJAX!
        >
        > JSON - http://www.json.org
        > JSON.simple - http://www.json.org/java/simple.txt

        > ÇÀ×¢ÑÅ»¢Ãâ·ÑÓÊÏä-3.5GÈÝÁ¿£¬20M¸½¼þ£¡
        > http://cn.mail.yahoo.com

      • rancioadams
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2006
          BTW: Here's the string returned by JSON, just in case:

          ["160","GENERAL DE
          OBRA","HORMIGONERAS","REF.","TIPO","CORRIENTE","P\/HORA","LITRO","","","","","EURO\/DIA","SEG.\/DIA",null,null,null,null]

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rancioadams" <comomolo@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > returns an apparently
          > > > correct string and I can see the data if I put the
          > > > JSON string
          > > > directly into the div element, but my javascript
          > > > hangs if I try to
          > > > eval the string. If I create an "identical" string
          > > > manually, my
          > > > javascript evaluates it correctly. This suggests the
          > > > JSON string
          > > > contains unprintable non-eval'able characters. I'm
          > > > about to give up
          > > > and write a little parsing code for this particular
          > > > need.
          > > >
          > > > Any ideas?
          > > >
          > > > Pablo
          > > >
          > > > PS: When I'm finished with this little job, I might
          > > > help with the
          > > > Spanish translations of the JSON pages.

          > > > --------------------~-->
          > > > You can search right from your browser? It's easy

        • Fang Yidong
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2006
            --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:

            > BTW: Here's the string returned by JSON, just in
            > case:
            >
            > ["160","GENERAL DE

            OBRA","HORMIGONERAS","REF.","TIPO","CORRIENTE","P\/HORA","LITRO","","","","","EURO\/DIA","SEG.\/DIA",null,null,null,null]

            It seems that there's a CR or LN between 'GENERAL DE'
            and 'OBRA' in the result. In JSON , controls should be
            escaped, and CR should be escaped as '\r' and LN
            should be escaped as '\n'.Choose a correct
            implementation of JSON encoder.

> [...]
            > >
            > > document.write("after <br />");
            > >
            > > break;
            > > }
            > > }
            > > xmlhttp.send(null)
            > > return;
            > > }
            > >
            > > The behaviour is this:
            > > - If I comment the eval line, the I can see the
            > "after" and "before",
            > > as well as the string returned by JSON from the
            > PHP code.
            > >
            > > - If I un-comment the string, I'll see "after" and
            > ths JSON string,
            > > but the app will freeze after that.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > > Pablo
            > >

            > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong
            > <fangyidong@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Show your source code of client side and server
            > side
            > > > to us, and maybe we can figure out what the

            === message truncated ===

            JSON: Action in AJAX!

            JSON - http://www.json.org

            Mp3疯狂搜-新歌热歌高速下
            http://music.yahoo.com.cn/?source=mail_mailbox_footer
          • rancioadams
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2006
              Thanks but no, there's not a CR between "GENERAL DE" and "OBRA". Just
              some problem with the posting here.

              Do the nulls at the end of the string pose a problem to the encoder?

              I'm using the enconder found here:
              http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=198

              Regards.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                Thanks but no, there's not a CR between "GENERAL DE" and "OBRA". Just
                some problem with the posting here.

                Do the nulls at the end of the string pose a problem to the encoder?

                I'm using the encoder found here:
> [...]

                > > > case 1:
                > > >
                > > document.getElementById('lista').innerHTML =
                > > > break;
                > > >
                > > > case 4:
                > > > document.write("before <br />");
                > > >
                > > > document.write(xmlhttp.responseText +
                > > "<br />");
                > > >
                > > > var tabla = eval(xmlhttp.responseText);
                > > > document.write(tabla[2] + "<br />");
                > > >
                > > > document.write("after <br />");
                > > >
                > > > break;
                > > > }
                > > > }
                > > > xmlhttp.send(null)
                > > > return;
                > > > }
                > > >
                > > > The behaviour is this:
                > > > - If I comment the eval line, the I can see the
                > > "after" and "before",
                > > > as well as the string returned by JSON from the
                > > PHP code.
                > > >
                > > > - If I un-comment the string, I'll see "after" and

              • MPCM
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                  Is there a place you can post your sample string at a website. So that these
                  groups can't mangle it?

                  --
                  Matthew P. C. Morley
                  MPCM Technologies Inc.

                • Fang Yidong
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                    I know what the problem is now.The line in your client
                    code:

                    var tabla = eval(xmlhttp.responseText);

                    should be:

                    --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:

                    > Thanks but no, there's not a CR between "GENERAL DE"
                    > and "OBRA". Just
                    > some problem with the posting here.
                    >
                    > Do the nulls at the end of the string pose a problem
                    > to the encoder?
                    >
                    > I'm using the enconder found here:

                    http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=198

                    > Regards.

                    > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong
                    > <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- rancioadams <comomolo@...>:
                    > >
                    > > > BTW: Here's the string returned by JSON, just in
                    > > > case:
                    > > >
                    > > > ["160","GENERAL DE

                    OBRA","HORMIGONERAS","REF.","TIPO","CORRIENTE","P\/HORA","LITRO","","","","","EURO\/DIA","SEG.\/DIA",null,null,null,null]

                    > > It seems that there's a CR or LN between 'GENERAL
                    > DE'
                    > > and 'OBRA' in the result. In JSON , controls
                    > should be
                    > > escaped, and CR should be escaped as '\r' and LN
                    > > should be escaped as '\n'.Choose a correct
                    > > implementation of JSON encoder.

                    > > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rancioadams"

                    > > > content="text/html;charset=utf-8">

                    > utf8_decode($_GET["subfamilia"]);

                    > =
                    > > > '$subfamilia'";

                    > die(mysql_error());

                    > > > ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP');

                    > > > ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');

                    > > > XMLHttpRequest!='undefined')

                    > 'scripts/getLista.php?subfamilia=' +

                    > > > document.getElementById('lista').innerHTML =

                    > > > "<br />");

                    > eval(xmlhttp.responseText);

                    > the
                    > > > "after" and "before",
                    > the
                    > > > PHP code.

                    > and
                    > > > ths JSON string,

                    > server
                    > > > side
                    > > > problem

                    > like
                    > > > email.

                    > > > encoded
                    > code
                    > put
                    > > > the
                    > > > javascript
                    > "identical"
                    > > > string
                    > > > suggests the
                    > characters.
                    > > > I'm

                    === message truncated ===

                    JSON: Action in AJAX!

                    JSON - http://www.json.org

                    赶快注册雅虎超大容量免费邮箱?
                    http://cn.mail.yahoo.com
                  • rancioadams
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                      Hi Fang,

                      I really appreciate your efforts but I tried that too and it didn't
                      work (as a matter of fact, I believe the parenthesis are just a
                      "safety measure").

                      Now I've been able to solve the problem and what's happening is hard
                      to believe for me but I've been testing it thoroughly this afternoon.

                      This is what's going on:

                      The PHP part is sending a string with 67 characters in front and 2
                      characters at the end. IE, instead of the expected string, I get
                      something like this:

                      garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(67 char)

                      I don't have a clue of what produces these characters or what they
                      content, but after much testing with string.length and
                      string.substring, I came to the conclusion that I have to pass the
                      data through the following filter:

                      var datos = xmlhttp.responseText;

                      datos = datos.substring(67,datos.length-2);

                      If I do that, I get the proper string that will eval'uate properly.
                      This has nothing to do with the JSON.php stuff. Even if I don't use
                      JSON at all, I stil get all that garbage in the same exact numbers.

                      Do you have any idea of what's going on here?

                      I'm working on UTF-8 all the time, but I don't think this should make
                      the difference, does it?

                      I'll leave it like that (since it's working), but I would really want
                      to know what are all those garbage characters, who puts them there and
                      what are they intended for or if there's a bug somewhere that can be
                      causing that.

                      Regards,

                    • rancioadams
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                        Sure, but please read my last post.

                        I will try to decipher what the string content is. Not tonight
                        (tomorrow I must show some working code!), but surely tomorrow night
                        or Tuesday.

                        If you think you want to work on it a bit, I can upload my files,
                        including the database in CSV format, to some FTP server. I just don't
                        dare to ask you guys for so much!

                        Pablo

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, MPCM <WickedLogic@...> wrote:

                        > Is there a place you can post your sample string at a website. So
                        that these
                        > groups can't mangle it?
                        >
                        > --
                        > Matthew P. C. Morley
                        > MPCM Technologies Inc.

                      • Mert Sakarya
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                          I recommend using Fiddler (free) or HttpWatcher for examining what's going on between server and the client.
                          These tools are for Windows (HttpWatcher works as Internet Explorer Addin, Fiddler captures IO from programs that uses WinInet.dll like Internet Explorer)
                          May be the Encoding header and the real stream are different.

                          Programming languages
                          Format
                          Computer security

                          Computer training
                          Large format
                          Cover letter formats

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          Visit your group "json" on the web.

                        • rancioadams
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 28, 2006
                            Sorry I made a typo down there (is there any way to edit posts?)

                            garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(67 char)

                            should be:

                            garbage(67 char) + string + garbage(2 char)