Re: [json] Introduction Date and Function objects to the standard

    Message 1 of 18 , May 23, 2006
      On 5/23/06, Mert Sakarya <msakarya@...> wrote:

      > Can we use function definitions in JSON?

      Please, no! That violates just about everything JSON is about. If you want
      to pass functions around, just use JavaScript in the first place, and forget
      about JSON.

      Eg.

      > {"book": {
      > "name": "bookname",
      > "chapter": [...],
      > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...}
      > }
      > }
      >
      > And how about using Date objects? Eg.
      >
      > {"book": {
      > "name": "bookname",
      > "chapter": [...],
      > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...},
      > "printDate" : new Date(2000,06,31,12,11,00)
      > }
      > }
      >
      > The two examples above cannot be parsed, "parse" method on the standard.
      >
      > I think, adding function definitions to the standard, adds great
      > flexibility for javascript, but decreases portability.

    • Greg Patnude
      Message 2 of 18 , May 23, 2006
        You know Mert -- I think you are on to something here but I have to
        suggest an alternative to your implementation -- I personally can't
        readily accept a situation where every time the language changes -- I
        would need to update the JSON parser and redeploy it to my server(s) --
        I think a better approach would be for the JavaScript version (let's
        call it the "runtime" or the "client-side parser") of the JSON parser to
        server as a wrapper around the JavaScript core objects. This makes sense
        for a lot of reasons, including:

        * Automatic forward compatibility as the ECMA standard evolves and
        the JavaScript interpreters evolve
        * Native support for ALL JavaScript "types", including the
        troublesome JavaScript "Date" type. If you look closely at the "Date"
        type -- you will see that it is more object than variable -- in fact --
        it is a composite object, encapsulating strings, numbers, and functions
        (methods) -- this is why you can't really parse a native date in the
        core JSON
        * This would implement your idea of incorporating a stringified
        function definition into a callable function

        I wouldn't really suggest throwing out the baby with the bathwater --
        the JSON parser developed by Doug Crockford is excellent -- but I would
        suggest some restructuring -- this is a somewhat major and radical
        solution but it would be a "one-time" restructuring --

        My suggestion would be to blend the JSON tokenizer with a loop iterator.
        Fundamentally -- the JSON parser loops through the stringified object
        and then iterates through the native JavaScript "types" -- the goal of
        the improved parser is to cast the stringified data into a JavaScript
        native type...

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mert Sakarya" <msakarya@...> wrote:

        > Can we use function definitions in JSON? Eg.
        >
        > {"book": {
        > "name": "bookname",
        > "chapter": [...],
        > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...}
        > }
        > }
        >
        > And how about using Date objects? Eg.
        >
        > {"book": {
        > "name": "bookname",
        > "chapter": [...],
        > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...},
        > "printDate" : new Date(2000,06,31,12,11,00)
        > }
        > }
        >
        > The two examples above cannot be parsed, "parse" method on the
        standard.

        > I think, adding function definitions to the standard, adds great
        > flexibility for javascript, but decreases portability.

      • Fang Yidong
        Message 3 of 18 , May 23, 2006
          I think why JSON be successful as a data-interchange
          format is its simplicity and neutral nature for many
          languages. Adding function definition just make JSON
          stick to javascript. As to the datatype 'Date',you can
          use number or string to represent it.

          --- Mert Sakarya <msakarya@...>:

          > Can we use function definitions in JSON? Eg.
          >
          > {"book": {
          > "name": "bookname",
          > "chapter": [...],
          > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...}
          > }
          > }
          >
          > And how about using Date objects? Eg.
          >
          > {"book": {
          > "name": "bookname",
          > "chapter": [...],
          > "gotoChapter" : function(chapterId) {...},
          > "printDate" : new Date(2000,06,31,12,11,00)
          > }
          > }
          >
          > The two examples above cannot be parsed, "parse"
          > method on the standard.
          >
          > I think, adding function definitions to the
          > standard, adds great
          > flexibility for javascript, but decreases
          > portability.

          > --------------------~-->
          > Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home
          > page now.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

          雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件
          http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Lindsay
          Message 4 of 18 , May 25, 2006
            Fang Yidong wrote:
            > I think why JSON be successful as a data-interchange
            > format is its simplicity and neutral nature for many
            > languages. Adding function definition just make JSON
            > stick to javascript. As to the datatype 'Date',you can
            > use number or string to represent it.

            Agreed. Maybe define a std date format, there's a ISO one which would do
            fine.

            --
            Lindsay
          • Greg Patnude
            Message 5 of 18 , May 26, 2006
              I have a JSON compatible date parser which converts a stringified
              version of a C-Type date (mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss.nnnn [AM:PM]) into a
              JavaScript native Date object format...

              I will offer it to the JSON community to be included as a component of
              the json.js library -- provided under the JSON License (Doug's "Good
              NOT Evil" license)...

              Speaking of the "Good NOT Evil" license -- is anyone interested in
              formalizing that ? like the myriad licensing already available -- GPL,
              or LGPL, or BSD Licenses... we could call it the "GNOTE" license....

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lindsay <lindsay@...> wrote:

              > Fang Yidong wrote:
              > > I think why JSON be successful as a data-interchange
              > > format is its simplicity and neutral nature for many
              > > languages. Adding function definition just make JSON
              > > stick to javascript. As to the datatype 'Date',you can
              > > use number or string to represent it.
              > >

              > Agreed. Maybe define a std date format, there's a ISO one which
              would do
              > fine.
              >

              > --
              > Lindsay

            • Greg Patnude
              Message 6 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                I think everyone is missing teh point I am trying to make --- I truly
                believe that "Object Notation" is the holy grail of data interchange.
                As a result, I would like to see object notation extended beyond just
                support for JavaScript (JSON) to every language --

                If we are truly talking about Object Notation -- then the parser(s)
                need to support all of the native object types for any given
                programming language -- If we are only talking about JavaScript
                Object Notation -- then I would expect the parser(s) to support all
                of the object / data types native to JavaScript.

                So -- if JSON is to TRULY represent the JavaScript Objects -- in
                addition to String, Number, Array, Object, true, false, and null
                objects -- the parser should also necessarily include

                • Date
                • Math
                • Function
                • RegExp
                and
                • Boolean objects...

                My desire is to see object notation become mainstream -- much more
                than JSON and bigger than XML even -- In order to accomplish that --
                we would really need an object notation parser for every language
                that is to be supported -- the purpose of the parser(s) would be to
                convert the object notation format to and from native language
                objects (NLO's) and variable data types...

                So, in a JavaScript implementation -- the parser would support all of
                the JavaScript core data types: OBject, Array, Function, String,
                Date, Number, etc...

                In a VBScript implementation: the parser would support Variant,
                String, Number, Array, etc...

                You get the idea -- basically -- I am proposing a "type-mapping"
                mechanism and wrappers that support a language independent
                implementation of object-notation

                Message 7 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                  On 5/26/06, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:

                  > I have a JSON compatible date parser which converts a stringified
                  > version of a C-Type date (mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss.nnnn [AM:PM]) into a
                  > JavaScript native Date object format...

                  Why the C format? Why not base it on the ISO standard, if we have to include
                  dates in JSON? And if the above format actually defines what you have, then
                  how would I specify the time zone? Or is it assumed to be UTC?

                  I will offer it to the JSON community to be included as a component of
                  > the json.js library -- provided under the JSON License (Doug's "Good
                  > NOT Evil" license)...
                  >
                  > Speaking of the "Good NOT Evil" license -- is anyone interested in
                  > formalizing that ? like the myriad licensing already available -- GPL,
                  > or LGPL, or BSD Licenses... we could call it the "GNOTE" license....

                  No, no, no! There are already dozens and dozens of open source licenses.
                  There is absolutely no good reason to invent another one. Do you have any
                  idea how much legal crap creating a new license creates for any company or
                  other organisation that actually wants to use the associated software? If
                  you want to formalise the license, please, please pick one of these:

                  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

                  I'd suggest the Apache License 2.0, which pretty much says you can do
                  whatever you want with the software as long as you keep the original license
                  in place.

                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lindsay <lindsay@...> wrote:

                  > > Fang Yidong wrote:
                  > > > I think why JSON be successful as a data-interchange
                  > > > format is its simplicity and neutral nature for many
                  > > > languages. Adding function definition just make JSON
                  > > > stick to javascript. As to the datatype 'Date',you can
                  > > > use number or string to represent it.
                  > > >

                  > > Agreed. Maybe define a std date format, there's a ISO one which
                  > would do
                  > > fine.
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > Lindsay

                • Christopher Stumm
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                    On 26 May, 2006, at 12:31, Martin Cooper wrote:

                    > On 5/26/06, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a JSON compatible date parser which converts a stringified
                    > > version of a C-Type date (mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss.nnnn [AM:PM]) into a
                    > > JavaScript native Date object format...
                    >
                    > Why the C format? Why not base it on the ISO standard, if we have to
                    > include
                    > dates in JSON? And if the above format actually defines what you
                    > have, then
                    > how would I specify the time zone? Or is it assumed to be UTC?

                    Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't one simply use the
                    standard
                    unix time? It does not rely on time-zones (which people seem to largely
                    ignore
                    on the internet), and is likely supported already by most languages, JS
                    included.
                    In addition it can easily be sent around as a simple int.

                    -Christopher
                  • Dave Balmer
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                      Greg,

                      I've given this a bit of thought too, but in the end this would only
                      complicate matters exponentially. Making a simple data parser is one
                      thing, but adding in a language parser (much less many language
                      parsers) on top of that just isn't practical.

                      Taking this "next logical step" would in fact narrow JSON's use as a
                      lightweight data exchange format, and limit adoption.

                      There's nothing which says you can't rig something (there are several
                      applications which abuse CDATA in XML to introduce in-line code, for
                      example), but I see no value in adding it to the specs.

                      Dave

                      ---
                      "Mean people suck." -- unknown
                    • Greg Patnude
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                        It is originally based on converting a date-time string from an ANSI
                        SQL database into a JavaScript UTC time... The ANSI SQL datetime
                        (timestamp) appeared to be "closest to" the JavaScript Date()
                        constructor at the time I developed the library --

                        var dt = new Date("mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss.ms");

                        Since 99.999% of the dates / times I display in the UI come from the
                        RDBMS -- this also made a lot of sense at the time....

                        RE: Unix date / time -- not everyone is into Unix... many people
                        appear to be using PHP, Perl, and ASP... Personally -- if it were
                        100% Unix / C / Java / ANSI SQL types -- I would be a happy camper...
                        but... we gotta provide support for the greatest common
                        denominator... not the lowest common denominator...

                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Stumm <christopher@...>
                        wrote:

                        > On 26 May, 2006, at 12:31, Martin Cooper wrote:
                        >
                        > > On 5/26/06, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I have a JSON compatible date parser which converts a
                        stringified
                        > > > version of a C-Type date (mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss.nnnn [AM:PM])
                        into a
                        > > > JavaScript native Date object format...
                        > >
                        > > Why the C format? Why not base it on the ISO standard, if we
                        have to
                        > > include
                        > > dates in JSON? And if the above format actually defines what you
                        > > have, then
                        > > how would I specify the time zone? Or is it assumed to be UTC?
                        >
                        > Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't one simply use the
                        > standard
                        > unix time? It does not rely on time-zones (which people seem to
                        largely
                        > ignore
                        > on the internet), and is likely supported already by most
                        languages, JS
                        > included.
                        > In addition it can easily be sent around as a simple int.
                        >
                        > -Christopher

                      • Fang Yidong
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 26, 2006
                          It's not necessary to add Date SPEC to JSON to make
                          things work. JSON just give you the freedom to do
                          whatever you want.

                          I've used JSON.simple to exchange millions of records
                          contains date and time fields from Oracle to
                          Postgres,it works very well and just 2 or 3 lines
                          added to convert the date and time format between
                          Oracle and Postgres,without the Date SPEC.

                          So I think the core primitive datetype
                          String,True,False,Number and Null of JSON is enough.

                          JSON: Action in AJAX!

                          JSON - http://www.json.org

                          雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件
                          http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Lindsay
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 28, 2006
                            Dave Balmer wrote:
                            > Greg,
                            >
                            > I've given this a bit of thought too, but in the end this would only
                            > complicate matters exponentially. Making a simple data parser is one
                            > thing, but adding in a language parser (much less many language
                            > parsers) on top of that just isn't practical.

                            Agreed. I'd like to see a std for dates as they are very commonly used
                            and nearly count as a scalar type :) But stick to the KISS principle.
                            Feature bloat his killed a lot of stds.

                            --
                            Lindsay
                          • Kevin Smith
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 3, 2006
                              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" wrote:

                              > On 5/26/06, Greg Patnude <gpatnude@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Speaking of the "Good NOT Evil" license -- is anyone interested in
                              > > formalizing that ? like the myriad licensing already available --
                              > > GPL, or LGPL, or BSD Licenses... we could call it the "GNOTE"
                              > > license....
                              >

                              > No, no, no! There are already dozens and dozens of open source
                              > licenses. There is absolutely no good reason to invent another one.
                              > Do you have any idea how much legal crap creating a new license
                              > creates for any company or other organisation that actually wants
                              > to use the associated software?

                              I completely agree. We were unable to use the GNOTE-licensed code in
                              either our GPL application, or in our other app that's currently
                              closed-source. Fortunately, we found a json implementation under a
                              simpler license, so we didn't have to re-invent it from scratch.

                              Personally, my big problem with the GNOTE license is: WHO decides what
                              is evil? Some folks thing gays are evil, while others think that
                              anti-gay behavior is evil. Some folks think Bin Laden is evil, but
                              I'm pretty sure he thinks his enemies are the evil ones. Worse...what
                              is "evil" can change over time, so I might be allowed to use the
                              software today, but next year my use might be considered evil by the
                              license holder.

                              It's a great idea, but just doesn't work in practice. Basically, it
                              will either discourage people from using the software, or will
                              encourage people to ignore or violate the license, whether
                              intentionally, or due to a disagreement over what is evil. Pretty much
                              anyone who takes licenses seriously will not be able to use GNOTE
                              software.

                              > I'd suggest the Apache License 2.0, which pretty much says you can
                              > do whatever you want with the software as long as you keep the
                              > original license in place.

                              Except that Apache License 2.0 code (arguably) can't be linked with
                              GPL software, which is unfortunate. For widest compatibility with
                              other licenses, I prefer the MIT-style license, which is even more
                              liberal. The LGPL also tends to work well with proprietary and Free
                              software.

                              Kevin
                            • Michal Migurski
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 3, 2006
                                > var dt = new Date("mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss.ms");
                                >

                                > Since 99.999% of the dates / times I display in the UI come from the
                                > RDBMS -- this also made a lot of sense at the time....

                                Except for time zones.

                                > RE: Unix date / time -- not everyone is into Unix... many people
                                > appear to be using PHP, Perl, and ASP... Personally -- if it were
                                > 100% Unix / C / Java / ANSI SQL types -- I would be a happy camper...
                                > but... we gotta provide support for the greatest common
                                > denominator... not the lowest common denominator...

                                As another poster commented, unix epoch is a great transmission
                                format thanks to its explicit treatment of time zones. Every language
                                I deal with in my work uses it (PHP, Python, ECMA-, Action-, and
                                JavaScript in milliseconds), and I find it vastly preferable when
                                moving data between web servers, DB servers, and client browsers that
                                are in unknown locations. The Atom spec does something similar, by
                                requiring dates to be expressed in UTC.

                                I'm generally opposed to the inclusion of dates and functions into
                                javascript, though. Python has four ways to describe dates, and PHP
                                limits what can be done with functions as data. No sense in taking a
                                simple, beautiful spec and complicating it just to satisfy a few edge
                                cases.

                                -mike.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
                                  On 6/3/06, Kevin Smith <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" wrote:

                                  <snip/>

                                  > I'd suggest the Apache License 2.0, which pretty much says you can
                                  > > do whatever you want with the software as long as you keep the
                                  > > original license in place.
                                  >
                                  > Except that Apache License 2.0 code (arguably) can't be linked with
                                  > GPL software, which is unfortunate.

                                  No, that's not the case (and there is no "arguably" ;), at least from an ASF
                                  perspective.

                                  There is a policy in place at the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) that
                                  states that ASF projects cannot have required dependencies on, or bundle,
                                  libraries licensed under the GPL or certain other licenses. What that means
                                  is that whenever you download ASF software, you can be absolutely sure that
                                  there are no "tricks up our sleeve" and you do not suddenly find yourself
                                  using additional software, with incompatible licenses, that you may not have
                                  expected.

                                  That is _completely_ different from what you, as a user of ASF software,
                                  choose to do with it. If you want to build an application that includes ASF
                                  and GPL software, that is absolutely fine with the ASF.

                                  For widest compatibility with
                                  > other licenses, I prefer the MIT-style license, which is even more
                                  > liberal. The LGPL also tends to work well with proprietary and Free
                                  > software.

                                  I'd agree that the MIT license is very flexible, but I'd suggest caution
                                  with the LGPL in a business environment. But this is getting way off-topic
                                  for this list...

                                  Kevin