ECMAScript

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2006
      I have recommended that these methods be added to ECMAScript:

      Array.prototype.toJSONString

      Object.prototype.toJSONString

      String.prototype.parseJSON

      This will make it even easier to use JSON with XMLHttpRequest.

      A JavaScript implementation of these functions is available now:
      http://www.json.org/json.js
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
        The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.

        There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
        should be the model for the native standard?
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
          On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
          <douglas@...> wrote:

          > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
          >
          > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
          > should be the model for the native standard?

          Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
          processing model that would be part of next version of
          Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
          expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
            > <douglas@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
            > >
            > > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
            > > should be the model for the native standard?
            >
            > Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
            > processing model that would be part of next version of
            > Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
            > expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

            We want to provide a built-in parse function and a built-in stringify
            function. We are trying to determine the details.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
              TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
              ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
              meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
              the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

              It will conform to the implementation of http://www.JSON.org/json2.js.
              Microsoft has already announced that they will ship compatible support
              in JScript in IE8. It is likely that the other browsers will also
              provide it.

              json2 provides a global object with two methods:

              JSON.stringify(value, replacer, indent)

              JSON.parse(text, reviver)
            • Kris Zyp
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
                > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
                > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
                > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

                ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?
                Kris

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Zyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

                  > > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
                  > > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
                  > > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
                  > > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved
                  next year.

                  > ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?

                  The designations have not been finalized yet. It is likely to be in
                  the next edition and all future editions.
                • Ric Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                    Doug,

                    This is a great vindication of your hard work! As a developer, I
                    thank you for introducing JSON to us and driving though all the discovery.

                    Ric