Re: [json] backslash double-quote

  • Mark Miller
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      Jon Schull wrote:
      > Thanks for the speedy and extensive reply
      >
      > Yes, my closing ")" was an error
      >
      > I'm something of an E-gnoramus, so I will ask before attempting to
      > understand your detailed reply, are there E-parsers available for
      > python and javascript?

      Unfortunately no. Currently, E runs only on the JVM. There are ports of E onto
      Common Lisp and Squeak in progress, but neither is ready yet.

      Porting E onto Python or Javascript would be a major effort. However, I
      suspect that E's quasi-literal framework and its term-tree system as an
      instance of that framework could easily be reimplemented in Python.

      Cheers,
      --MarkM
    • jonschull5
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
        I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in JSON...

        For any object o, it should be true that

        json.read( json.write(o) ) == o

        But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}

        ???????????

        A similarly fatal problem arises when I try to jsonize some a DOM
        element that includes an onclick method with a quoted argument. This
        is not an improbable use case.

        Is there no solution?
      • jonschull5
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
          P.S. I've determined that Crockford's javascript parser does not have
          this problem (which I found in patrick logan's json.py).

          With javascript,

          o2= son.parse( json.stringify(o) )
          o2.a == o.a is TRUE
          and o2.toSource()==o.ToSource() is also TRUE

          (interestingly...
          json.parse( json.stringify(o) ) == o fails
          but that's another story, I think )

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
            On 8/2/05, jonschull5 <schull@...> wrote:
            > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in JSON...
            >
            > For any object o, it should be true that
            >
            > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
            >
            > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}

            I'm not sure which implementation you're referring to, since JSON is
            just a spec, but I'm surprised the above even parses as valid JSON.
            Strings in JSON must be surrounded by double quotes, and single quotes
            are not valid.

            > ???????????
            >
            > A similarly fatal problem arises when I try to jsonize some a DOM
            > element that includes an onclick method with a quoted argument. This
            > is not an improbable use case.
            >
            > Is there no solution?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jon Schull
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
              Ok, I should have said "a serious flaw in the json.py library"

              And it turns out to be a problem in the two python libraries I've
              looked at
              (https://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/ and http://python.ca/nas/
              log/)

              I'm surprised the requirement that strings be surrounded by double
              quotes applies to the objects themselves. I don't think we can
              always control the quoting of nested expressions....

              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              Jon Schull, Ph.D.
              Associate Professor
              Information Technology
              Rochester Institute of Technology
              102 Lomb Memorial Drive
              Rochester, New York 14623
              schull@... 585-738-6696

              On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Martin Cooper wrote:

              > On 8/2/05, jonschull5 <schull@...> wrote:
              > > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in
              > JSON...
              > >
              > > For any object o, it should be true that
              > >
              > > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
              > >
              > > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}
              >
              > I'm not sure which implementation you're referring to, since JSON is
              > just a spec, but I'm surprised the above even parses as valid JSON.
              > Strings in JSON must be surrounded by double quotes, and single quotes
              > are not valid.
              >
              > --
              > Martin Cooper
              >

              > > ???????????
              > >
              > > A similarly fatal problem arises when I try to jsonize some a DOM
              > > element that includes an onclick method with a quoted argument.
              > This
              > > is not an improbable use case.
              > >
              > > Is there no solution?
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Json Programming languages Format
              > Computer security Computer training Large format
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "json" on the web.

            • Michal Migurski
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
                > Ok, I should have said "a serious flaw in the json.py library"

                The json.py library definitely has some problems. I've found a few
                flaws in the way it encodes strings, which I've sent back to Patrick
                as patches. I'm only using write() method.

                -mike.

                michal migurski- contact info, blog, and pgp key:
              • Mark Miller
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
                  jonschull5 wrote:
                  > I don't understand why this isn't considered a serious flaw in JSON...
                  >
                  > For any object o, it should be true that
                  >
                  > json.read( json.write(o) ) == o
                  >
                  > But this is not true for the object {'a':' " '}

                  In E, this gives a syntax error as it should:

                  ? term`{'a':' " '}`
                  # syntax error:
                  # {'a':' " '}
                  # ^

                  Cheers,
                  --MarkM
                • jemptymethod
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Since it's Python, an option might be to access Mr Crockford's Java
                    implementation of JSON, via Jython.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2005
                      oops. Editing error from the Python interpreter. The resulting json representation should look something like...

                      {"a":" \" "}

                      -Patrick

                    • jonschull5
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 6, 2005
                        Just thought I'd put it on record that both Patrick Logan and Neil
                        Schemenauer promptly fixed and updated their python json libraries.
                        Logan: https://sourceforge.net/projects/json-py/
                        Schemenauer: http://arctrix.com/nas/python/json-1.1.tar.gz

                        While they have slightly different output formats (Neil's is more
                        verbose, but more human-readable) they seem to be interoperable with
                        each other and with Crockford's javascript library (which is as it
                        should be).

                        Thanks to all!

                        Jon
                        http://jonschull.blogspot.com