Re: [json] Re: i18n

  • Lars Goldschlager
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18 1:05 PM
      Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.

      When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding scheme
      JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 18 3:53 PM
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager" <lars.gold@...> wrote:

        > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.
        >
        > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding
        scheme
        > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

        You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think UTF-8 is the only
        thing that makes sense.

        See http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
        04.txt
      • Fang Yidong
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18 6:29 PM
          I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
          and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
          server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
          support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

          --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager"
          > <lars.gold@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be
          > asked.
          > >
          > > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an
          > inherent encoding
          > scheme
          > > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?
          >
          > You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think
          > UTF-8 is the only
          > thing that makes sense.
          >
          > See

          http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
          > 04.txt

          想成为冯小刚、陈凯歌、张纪中三大导演的主角吗?
          http://sostar.cn.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19 6:07 AM
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

            > I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
            > and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
            > server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
            > support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

            JSON can be used with languages that use 8-bit chars, 16-bit chars, or
            32-bit chars. Applications use Unicode in the most convenient size,
            which is independent of the wire encoding.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19 11:54 AM
              It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in JSON. Look at how
              the Subject: of this missage got mangled.
            • Fang Yidong
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 19 5:16 PM
                I'm using the GBK version of Yahoo! mail.I forgot to
                change 'Re:' in chinese (3 unicode characters) into
                english.Maybe it's why the subject looks like this.

                --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                > It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in
                > JSON. Look at how
                > the Subject: of this missage got mangled.

                雅虎1G免费邮箱百分百防垃圾信
                http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/