Re: i18n

  • Mark Nottingham
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
      Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between specification and implementation
      is...

      Cheers,

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
        If you should discover a gap in any of the implementations, I hope you
        will report it.

        Mind the gap.

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@...> wrote:

        > Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between
        specification and implementation
        > is...
        >
        > Cheers,
      • Lars Goldschlager
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
          Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.

          When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding scheme
          JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager" <lars.gold@...> wrote:

            > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.
            >
            > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding
            scheme
            > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

            You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think UTF-8 is the only
            thing that makes sense.

            See http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
            04.txt
          • Fang Yidong
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
              I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
              and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
              server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
              support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

              --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

              > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager"
              > <lars.gold@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be
              > asked.
              > >
              > > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an
              > inherent encoding
              > scheme
              > > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?
              >
              > You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think
              > UTF-8 is the only
              > thing that makes sense.
              >
              > See

              http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
              > 04.txt

              想成为冯小刚、陈凯歌、张纪中三大导演的主角吗?
              http://sostar.cn.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

                > I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
                > and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
                > server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
                > support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

                JSON can be used with languages that use 8-bit chars, 16-bit chars, or
                32-bit chars. Applications use Unicode in the most convenient size,
                which is independent of the wire encoding.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                  It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in JSON. Look at how
                  the Subject: of this missage got mangled.
                • Fang Yidong
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                    I'm using the GBK version of Yahoo! mail.I forgot to
                    change 'Re:' in chinese (3 unicode characters) into
                    english.Maybe it's why the subject looks like this.

                    --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                    > It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in
                    > JSON. Look at how
                    > the Subject: of this missage got mangled.

                    雅虎1G免费邮箱百分百防垃圾信
                    http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/