Re: [json] i18n

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
      On Apr 17, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

      > Just curious -- what testing has been done of the various libraries
      > and tools WRT
      > internationalisation?
      >
      > I.e., has it been confirmed that i18n works in JSON, and is
      > interoperable?

      Well... it assumes Unicode in all strings, if that's what you mean. =)

    • Mark Nottingham
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
        Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between specification and implementation
        is...

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
          If you should discover a gap in any of the implementations, I hope you
          will report it.

          Mind the gap.

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@...> wrote:

          > Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between
          specification and implementation
          > is...
          >
          > Cheers,
        • Lars Goldschlager
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
            Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.

            When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding scheme
            JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager" <lars.gold@...> wrote:

              > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.
              >
              > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding
              scheme
              > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

              You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think UTF-8 is the only
              thing that makes sense.

              See http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
              04.txt
            • Fang Yidong
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
                I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
                and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
                server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
                support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

                --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager"
                > <lars.gold@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be
                > asked.
                > >
                > > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an
                > inherent encoding
                > scheme
                > > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?
                >
                > You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think
                > UTF-8 is the only
                > thing that makes sense.
                >
                > See

                http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
                > 04.txt

                想成为冯小刚、陈凯歌、张纪中三大导演的主角吗?
                http://sostar.cn.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

                  > I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
                  > and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
                  > server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
                  > support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

                  JSON can be used with languages that use 8-bit chars, 16-bit chars, or
                  32-bit chars. Applications use Unicode in the most convenient size,
                  which is independent of the wire encoding.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                    It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in JSON. Look at how
                    the Subject: of this missage got mangled.
                  • Fang Yidong
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                      I'm using the GBK version of Yahoo! mail.I forgot to
                      change 'Re:' in chinese (3 unicode characters) into
                      english.Maybe it's why the subject looks like this.

                      --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                      > It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in
                      > JSON. Look at how
                      > the Subject: of this missage got mangled.

                      雅虎1G免费邮箱百分百防垃圾信
                      http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/