i18n

  • Mark Nottingham
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
      Just curious -- what testing has been done of the various libraries and tools WRT
      internationalisation?

      I.e., has it been confirmed that i18n works in JSON, and is interoperable?

      Cheers,
    • Michal Migurski
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
        On Apr 17, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

        > Just curious -- what testing has been done of the various libraries
        > and tools WRT
        > internationalisation?
        >
        > I.e., has it been confirmed that i18n works in JSON, and is
        > interoperable?

        Well... it assumes Unicode in all strings, if that's what you mean. =)

      • Mark Nottingham
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
          Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between specification and implementation
          is...

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
            If you should discover a gap in any of the implementations, I hope you
            will report it.

            Mind the gap.

            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@...> wrote:

            > Yep, I saw that; was just wondering what the gap between
            specification and implementation
            > is...
            >
            > Cheers,
          • Lars Goldschlager
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
              Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.

              When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding scheme
              JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager" <lars.gold@...> wrote:

                > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be asked.
                >
                > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an inherent encoding
                scheme
                > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?

                You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think UTF-8 is the only
                thing that makes sense.

                See http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
                04.txt
              • Fang Yidong
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 18, 2006
                  I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
                  and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
                  server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
                  support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

                  --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Goldschlager"
                  > <lars.gold@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Now that this comes up, a question needs to be
                  > asked.
                  > >
                  > > When Unicode chars are specified, is there an
                  > inherent encoding
                  > scheme
                  > > JSON wide? utf-8? utf-16? another schema?
                  >
                  > You can use any of UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I think
                  > UTF-8 is the only
                  > thing that makes sense.
                  >
                  > See

                  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-
                  > 04.txt

                  想成为冯小刚、陈凯歌、张纪中三大导演的主角吗?
                  http://sostar.cn.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:

                    > I think UTF-8 is just a transformation format,like GBK
                    > and so on. In the 'internal' of both side (client /
                    > server),unicode is encoded in UCS-2 or UCS-4. I think
                    > support of unicode in JSON refers the latter.

                    JSON can be used with languages that use 8-bit chars, 16-bit chars, or
                    32-bit chars. Applications use Unicode in the most convenient size,
                    which is independent of the wire encoding.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                      It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in JSON. Look at how
                      the Subject: of this missage got mangled.
                    • Fang Yidong
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 19, 2006
                        I'm using the GBK version of Yahoo! mail.I forgot to
                        change 'Re:' in chinese (3 unicode characters) into
                        english.Maybe it's why the subject looks like this.

                        --- Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>:

                        > It is a shame that Yahoo!Groups isn't implemented in
                        > JSON. Look at how
                        > the Subject: of this missage got mangled.

                        雅虎1G免费邮箱百分百防垃圾信
                        http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/