Re: JSONRequest

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 13, 2006
      > 1. Is there a test implementation to play with?

      Not yet, but I hope to make some announcements soon.

      > 2. What is the motivation behind the limitations of data size and
      > nesting levels. Should that really go into the spec or isn't it rather
      > an (perhaps recommended) implementation detail.

      It should go somewhere. I think there should be some limit other than
      "whatever you can imagine". Senders and receivers need some way of
      agreeing on what the limit is, so that we can distinguish long
      messages from exhaustion attacks.

      > 3. Don't exactly understand the mechanism of duplex connections. Isn't
      > it a Comet-like server push solution. I would like to see an example
      > implementation here also.

      That's the idea. By creating a channel for receiving messages from the
      server, the server can send whenever it has data available. This can
      provide much better performance than polling.
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 17, 2006
        The JSONRequest does only one thing: It exchanges data between scripts
        on pages with JSON servers in the web. It provides this highly
        valuable service while introducing no new security vulnerabilities.

        A browser within a filewall may have the capability to interact with a
        server (penzance.org). Computers on the outside do not have that
        capability. Can a computer on the outside (pirate.net) cause a browser
        to act as its agent in interacting with an internal server?

        Current, XMLHttpRequest does not allow a script from a page from
        pirate.net to connect to penzance.org because of the Same Origin Policy.

        JSONRequest does allow the connection, but with some limitations:

        The method is POST
        The Content-Type is application/json.
        The POST body data will be in JSON format.
        The response data will be in JSON format.
        The character encoding in both directions will be UTF-8, strictly
        enforced.

        Does this allow improperly secured applications to be accessed?

        Application that are looking for GET cannot be accessed because
        JSONRequest only uses POST.
        requesting script.

        This is sufficient to protect most legacy applications.

        But what of legacy applications that accept POST. Could JSONRequest be
        used to improperly POST to these applications, thereby corrupting
        databases? JSONRequest mitigates this danger:

        The POST data is in JSON format, so as seen by conventional web
        applications, the first form field name will have a [" or {" prefix,
        which may cause a fault.

        Cookies and HTTP authentication are not sent.

        Contrast this to form.submit, which can send a conventional POST body
        and cookies and HTTP authentication. JSONRequest is more secure than
        the form.submit feature which is currently implemented everywhere. By
        switching to a policy of responding only to well-formatted
        JSONRequest, applications can be made more secure.

        When applications are designed to use JSONRequest, they can take
        advantage of the Domain HTTP header field which identifies the source
        of the page. This can be used to determine the origin of the page
        making the request, which can be useful to know when making access
        decisions.

        http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
      • zackthom
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 18 12:57 PM
          Deos JSON Request allow a true POST today?

          I reviewed your docs, and there is some great information here, but you
          do not discuss how to do a POST without xmlHtpp.

          I am interested in a remote scripting call that allowes me to send
          HEADERS.

          Is this a proposed new standard or a library implmentation? How can I
          test it?
        • John David Duncan
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
            Hi,

            I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
            I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the proposal.

            The sample server response says:

            HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            JSONRequest: 6

            What is the "JSONRequest: 6" header? Is 6 the request serial number?
            (and if so, how did the server get the serial number from the client?)

            Thanks,

            JD
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John David Duncan <john.david.duncan@...>
              wrote:

              > I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
              > I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the proposal.

              The current proposal can be found at http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
            • John David Duncan
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007

                >> I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
                >> I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the
                >> proposal.
                >
                > The current proposal can be found at http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

                Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. Is the "JSONRequest" header
                supposed to be there, in this response?

                HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                JSONRequest: 6

                JD
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
                  wrote:
                  > Is the "JSONRequest" header
                  > supposed to be there, in this response?
                  >

                  > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                  > JSONRequest: 6

                  I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
                  I have corrected it. Thank you.
                • John David Duncan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 10, 2007
                    On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

                    >> Is the "JSONRequest" header
                    >> supposed to be there, in this response?
                    > I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
                    > I have corrected it. Thank you.

                    Thanks! I have one more thought about the proposal.

                    The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
                    jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
                    The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
                    then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
                    header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
                    the header should be mandatory.

                    JD
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
                      > jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
                      > The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
                      > then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
                      > header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
                      > the header should be mandatory.

                      You're right.
                    • Michael Schwarz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                        Hi,

                        one thing I didn't get a answer yet about security: I expect that NTLM is
                        not working with JSONRequest, too, is that correct?

                        Some other questions while implementing a client plugin: must there be a
                        maximum timeout value? I think that it makes no sence to run requests longer
                        than 10 seconds. What about the user-agent string, will this be sent or not?
                        Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

                        And one last question: does the JSON server need to support HTTP 1.0, or is
                        it mandatory to support HTTP 1.1 only?

                        Michael

                        --
                        Best regards | Schöne Grüße
                        Michael

                        http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/
                        http://www.ajaxpro.info/

                        Skype: callto:schwarz-interactive
                        MSN IM: passport@...

                      • collin_jackson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:

                          Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                          > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

                          The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                          into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                          spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                          tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                          scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                          (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                          according to the browser.

                          To make this header match the browser's security policy, it would be
                          possible to set a header of the form scheme://domain:port (with no
                          path included), but I'm not sure whether this is necessary.
                        • Michael Schwarz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                            Hi,

                            On 10/14/07, collin_jackson <yahoo@...> wrote:
                            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:
                            >
                            > Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                            I write one for Mac and Windows, well, it is not a real plugin, but a
                            way to integrate it in you web pages.

                            > > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?
                            >
                            > The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                            > into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                            > spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                            > tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                            > scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                            > (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                            > according to the browser.

                            What I thought was pages like aol.com/users/xxxx or
                            t-online.de/home/xxxx. Where is the "domain" specified, I thought it
                            will use the Web browsers location always, which in my mind is not
                            speficic enough.

                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 13, 2009
                              I have updated the JSONRequest proposal, removing the Origin feature.
                              I have been persuaded that it can encourage bad practice.

                              http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                            • pigwin32
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009

                                > I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                                > applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                                > facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                                >
                                > You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

                                This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                                turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                                propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                                JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                                curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                                HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                                exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                                existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                                addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                                - Dave
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009
                                  On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM, pigwin32 <pigwin32@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                                  >> applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                                  >> facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                                  >>
                                  >> You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                                  >>

                                  > This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                                  > turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                                  > propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                                  > JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                                  > curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                                  > HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                                  > exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                                  > existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                                  > addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                                  I am not a REST expert, but isn't PUT used to store given payload (in
                                  this case, request in form of Json), and DELETE just ignore payload?
                                  Meaning that such operations via JSONRequest wouldn't make much sense;
                                  after all, you can call PUT with appropriate content type anyway, and
                                  DELETE wouldn't require one.

                                  That is: what would be useful semantics for such operations? (same
                                  could be asked of GET -- but I assume that's for manual testing via
                                  browser)

                                  I guess case could be made that for completeness sake these verbs
                                  should be supported.

                                  -+ Tatu +-
                                • Fang Yidong
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                                    Hello Tatu,

                                    While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                                    The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.

                                    I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                                    Here's my opinions:
                                    1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                                    2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                                    3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                                    I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                                    Thanks.

                                    Yidong Fang

                                  • Fang Yidong

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                                        On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                                        > Hello Tatu,
                                        >
                                        > While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                                        Hi there! Yes, that is true.

                                        > The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.
                                        >
                                        > I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                                        Sure, thank you for your input. I hadn't yet published it, but it is
                                        of course public from the blog.

                                        > Here's my opinions:
                                        > 1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                                        Hmmh. I don't think I fully agree, but I agree in that it depends on use case.

                                        For me, the use case is always getting Json from an external source
                                        (network request, from file system), and hence input is naturally a
                                        stream of bytes. So if a library just takes a String, it must be
                                        constructed from bytes.
                                        I did give shortcuts for some parsers so that there was no need to
                                        read from the stream, so in a way some parsers benefited from the
                                        setup (from my perspective).

                                        It is possible that other use cases could be ones where a String would
                                        be needed anyway (like perhaps reading it from a DB), but for me this
                                        is not the case.

                                        > 2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                                        I think needs to be, because otherwise you can not do anything of use;
                                        and parsers could optimize away some processing.
                                        I don't think results would differ a lot though, most parsers do
                                        handle all the data independent of traversal. I can probably make this
                                        configurable to see what the difference is.

                                        > 3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                                        Ah yes. Apologies for not trying it out -- I forgot that json.simple
                                        does in fact have a streaming interface. I can add that, and make it
                                        the main interface.

                                        > I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                                        Thank you, and thanks for feedback!

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 20, 2009
                                          On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                                          > Sorry this message is intended to send to Tatu only. My bad.
                                          > Since the result is not published yet, let's discuss it privately.

                                          (took the discussion offline, but if anyone is interested in what
                                          results we are discussing, those are at:

                                          http://www.cowtowncoder.com/blog/archives/2009/02/entry_204.html

                                          I will be making some updates; and if any owners of other packages
                                          have suggestions, let me know as well. Benchmarks are hard to do well
                                          with different use cases and emphasis, so at least I want to document
                                          presumptions and biases.