Re: Compressed JSON

  • msf157
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
      I finally got it working. The headers were being added correctly
      but the encoding was not. I switched methods of compression and it
      works perfectly. The browser/platform should auto-decompress on the
      other end if the headers are set correctly. There should be no need
      to use a gzip library, as some suggested.

      To others that do not use compression I highly recomend it. The
      advantage of JSON is the small size, and simplicity to Parse. If
      you are not compressing your streams then you are not taking full
      advantage of the format.

      My JSON went from 5k to 1k, i know these are already small files,
      but my web interface is making dozens of calls a minute and updating
      the screen, that small decrease in size will add tons to the
      unsability of the page for those on slower connections.

      The final solution was to wrap my PHP page with start_gzip and
      end_gzip commands, the browser auto decompresses and parses the
      result wih JS.

      Thanks again to all that left feedback.

      -Marc

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tom Metro <tmetro+json@...> wrote:

      > henrik hjelte wrote:
      > >> ...I am sending the files to the browser in gzip form and they
      should
      > >> automagiacally decompress, before going to the parser.
      > >
      > > I think you have to set the proper value of the http response
      > > content-type, to a value like text/gzip or text/zip.
      >
      > Yes, though it looks like Content-Type is unchanged, but a
      > Content-Encoding header needs to be added.
      >
      > Here are a couple of articles on this that I found when searching
      for
      > "HTTP Compression":

      http://www.webreference.com/internet/software/servers/http/compressio
      n/