Re: [json] Re: Compressed JSON

  • henrik hjelte
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2006
      On tis, 2006-03-07 at 16:18 +0000, msf157 wrote:
      > I am sure this has nothing to do with the actual JSON files, but I
      > am sending the files to the browser in gzip form and they should
      > automagiacally decompress, before going to the parser. For some
      > reason this is not hapening as it does with XML and I am unsure what
      > the proper way to do this is.

      I think you have to set the proper value of the http response
      content-type, to a value like text/gzip or text/zip. It sort of
      depends on the browser if I remember.

      /Henrik Hjelte
    • Tom Metro
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2006
        henrik hjelte wrote:
        >> ...I am sending the files to the browser in gzip form and they should
        >> automagiacally decompress, before going to the parser.
        >
        > I think you have to set the proper value of the http response
        > content-type, to a value like text/gzip or text/zip.

        Yes, though it looks like Content-Type is unchanged, but a
        Content-Encoding header needs to be added.

        Here are a couple of articles on this that I found when searching for
        "HTTP Compression":

        http://www.webreference.com/internet/software/servers/http/compression/

        Most newer browsers since 1998/1999 have been equipped to support the
        HTTP 1.1 standard known as "content-encoding." ... Essentially the
        browser indicates to the server that it can accept "content encoding"
        and if the server is capable it will then compress the data and
        transmit it.

        http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/compress/

        HTTP compression uses public domain compression algorithms, like gzip
        and compress, to compress XHTML, JavaScript, CSS, and other text files
        at the server. This standards-based method of delivering compressed
        content is built into HTTP 1.1, and most modern browsers that support
        HTTP 1.1 support ZLIB inflation of deflated documents. In other words,
        they can decompress compressed files automatically...

        So the likely problem is that your server isn't sending the correct
        Content-Encoding header. Also note that your server is supposed to be
        looking at the request headers and *only* sending compressed content if
        the client says it can handle it.

        Whether all this magic is supported by the XMLHttpRequest() API is
        another matter, but being a documented feature of HTTP 1.1 it seems
        likely that the capability is implemented in the lower layer protocol API.

        -Tom

        --
        Tom Metro
        Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
          I finally got it working. The headers were being added correctly
          but the encoding was not. I switched methods of compression and it
          works perfectly. The browser/platform should auto-decompress on the
          other end if the headers are set correctly. There should be no need
          to use a gzip library, as some suggested.

          To others that do not use compression I highly recomend it. The
          advantage of JSON is the small size, and simplicity to Parse. If
          you are not compressing your streams then you are not taking full
          advantage of the format.

          My JSON went from 5k to 1k, i know these are already small files,
          but my web interface is making dozens of calls a minute and updating
          the screen, that small decrease in size will add tons to the
          unsability of the page for those on slower connections.

          The final solution was to wrap my PHP page with start_gzip and
          end_gzip commands, the browser auto decompresses and parses the
          result wih JS.

          Thanks again to all that left feedback.

          -Marc