RE: [json] JSON Help needed

  • Gugnani, Tarun
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
      Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
      But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
      part of XML
      <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
      but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
      performance. Thats what my feeling is..
      as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

      Regards,
      Tarun

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
        Well yes you're correct that JSON is just a string which can be put inside
        an XML body. But I'm not so sure that you will save on parsing time. As most
        consumers of a web service can already handle the XML parsing (and you'd
        have to parse the XML ANYway to get at the JSON object contained within.

        I'm not sure but I'd think that the net gain (if any) would be neglegable.

        But once again that's merely IMHO. Anyone else out here know or assume any
        different?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
          On 2/21/06, Gugnani, Tarun <tarun.gugnani@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
          > But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
          > part of XML
          > <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
          > but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
          > performance. Thats what my feeling is..
          > as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

          This seems somewhat counter to an SOA approach. Yes, "parsing" - or rather,
          eval-ing - JSON in a browser (or other JavaScript client) will most likely
          be faster than parsing XML. But now you are assuming knowledge and
          capabilities of your clients, which is antithetical to SOA.

          As someone else already pointed out, you're already going to have to have
          XML support on all clients and servers, so it's questionable as to why you'd
          want to have to support parsing and generation of JSON on all of them as
          well. Plus, you'll lose any ability to validate against an XML Schema by
          using JSON.

          My 2 cents.

          Regards,