Re: [json] JSON Help needed

  • Crzy4c
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
      Well Tarun, I might be showing my ignorance here since I'm just starting
      to get into the SOA architecture myself, but can you do that with JSON?
      I don't mean that from a technically possible perspective, but doesn't
      the SOA spec call for using WebServices and an XML based mechanism
      rather than JSON for data exchange?

      Any SOA experts here wanna go over this????

      Mike
      Gugnani, Tarun wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am new to JSON & i need your help.
      >
      > My Use case is that i have service oriented architecture & sometimes i
      > have to send a object back from my service to client.
      > Currently i am using java bean serialization mechanism to serialize my
      > object & again this object is used by client ( JavaScript )
      > Second use case is exactly opposite to it. Object created at JS side is
      > serialize into xml & send to server side.
      >
      > Now for both the use case I am planning to use JSON for serialization
      > purpose. has anyone tried it before ?
      > How was the experience ? Does it fail for any case ?
      > What are the advantages of using JSON in this scenario & what are the
      > disadvantages ?
      >
      > Looking forward for your expert guidance .
      >
      > Thanks & Regards,
      > Tarun

    • Gugnani, Tarun
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
        Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
        But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
        part of XML
        <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
        but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
        performance. Thats what my feeling is..
        as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

        Regards,
        Tarun

        ________________________________

        Gugnani, Tarun wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am new to JSON & i need your help.
        >
        > My Use case is that i have service oriented architecture &
        sometimes i
        > have to send a object back from my service to client.
        > Currently i am using java bean serialization mechanism to
        serialize my
        > object & again this object is used by client ( JavaScript )
        > Second use case is exactly opposite to it. Object created at
        JS side is
        > serialize into xml & send to server side.
        >
        > Now for both the use case I am planning to use JSON for
        serialization
        > purpose. has anyone tried it before ?
        > How was the experience ? Does it fail for any case ?
        > What are the advantages of using JSON in this scenario & what
        are the
        > disadvantages ?
        >
        > Looking forward for your expert guidance .
        >
        > Thanks & Regards,
        > Tarun

        Programming languages
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programmin
        g+languages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5
        =Cover+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=K9aG48xJ6fJ3Tyx2xwOstw> Computer
        security
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+la
        nguages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cov
        er+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=I6jwfPAfuAYxxW5Fbegj-A> Computer
        training
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+la
        nguages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cov
        er+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=3Y3Vwnu9SWubOX8u9M1f1g>
        Large format
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languag
        es&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cover+le
        tter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=jT2fYhCagC8hPBlWmQV8_w> Cover letter
        formats
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming
        +languages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=
        Cover+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=lP6buyGxlIeVTVk8SVuGlw>

        Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Crzy4c
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
          Well yes you're correct that JSON is just a string which can be put inside
          an XML body. But I'm not so sure that you will save on parsing time. As most
          consumers of a web service can already handle the XML parsing (and you'd
          have to parse the XML ANYway to get at the JSON object contained within.

          I'm not sure but I'd think that the net gain (if any) would be neglegable.

          But once again that's merely IMHO. Anyone else out here know or assume any
          different?

          Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
            On 2/21/06, Gugnani, Tarun <tarun.gugnani@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
            > But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
            > part of XML
            > <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
            > but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
            > performance. Thats what my feeling is..
            > as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

            This seems somewhat counter to an SOA approach. Yes, "parsing" - or rather,
            eval-ing - JSON in a browser (or other JavaScript client) will most likely
            be faster than parsing XML. But now you are assuming knowledge and
            capabilities of your clients, which is antithetical to SOA.

            As someone else already pointed out, you're already going to have to have
            XML support on all clients and servers, so it's questionable as to why you'd
            want to have to support parsing and generation of JSON on all of them as
            well. Plus, you'll lose any ability to validate against an XML Schema by
            using JSON.

            My 2 cents.

            Regards,