JSON Help needed

  • Gugnani, Tarun
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hi All,

      I am new to JSON & i need your help.

      My Use case is that i have service oriented architecture & sometimes i
      have to send a object back from my service to client.
      Currently i am using java bean serialization mechanism to serialize my
      object & again this object is used by client ( JavaScript )
      Second use case is exactly opposite to it. Object created at JS side is
      serialize into xml & send to server side.

      Now for both the use case I am planning to use JSON for serialization
      purpose. has anyone tried it before ?
      How was the experience ? Does it fail for any case ?
      What are the advantages of using JSON in this scenario & what are the
      disadvantages ?

      Looking forward for your expert guidance .

      Thanks & Regards,
      Tarun

    • Crzy4c
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
        Well Tarun, I might be showing my ignorance here since I'm just starting
        to get into the SOA architecture myself, but can you do that with JSON?
        I don't mean that from a technically possible perspective, but doesn't
        the SOA spec call for using WebServices and an XML based mechanism
        rather than JSON for data exchange?

        Any SOA experts here wanna go over this????

        Mike
        Gugnani, Tarun wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am new to JSON & i need your help.
        >
        > My Use case is that i have service oriented architecture & sometimes i
        > have to send a object back from my service to client.
        > Currently i am using java bean serialization mechanism to serialize my
        > object & again this object is used by client ( JavaScript )
        > Second use case is exactly opposite to it. Object created at JS side is
        > serialize into xml & send to server side.
        >
        > Now for both the use case I am planning to use JSON for serialization
        > purpose. has anyone tried it before ?
        > How was the experience ? Does it fail for any case ?
        > What are the advantages of using JSON in this scenario & what are the
        > disadvantages ?
        >
        > Looking forward for your expert guidance .
        >
        > Thanks & Regards,
        > Tarun

      • Gugnani, Tarun
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
          Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
          But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
          part of XML
          <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
          but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
          performance. Thats what my feeling is..
          as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

          Regards,
          Tarun

          ________________________________

          Gugnani, Tarun wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am new to JSON & i need your help.
          >
          > My Use case is that i have service oriented architecture &
          sometimes i
          > have to send a object back from my service to client.
          > Currently i am using java bean serialization mechanism to
          serialize my
          > object & again this object is used by client ( JavaScript )
          > Second use case is exactly opposite to it. Object created at
          JS side is
          > serialize into xml & send to server side.
          >
          > Now for both the use case I am planning to use JSON for
          serialization
          > purpose. has anyone tried it before ?
          > How was the experience ? Does it fail for any case ?
          > What are the advantages of using JSON in this scenario & what
          are the
          > disadvantages ?
          >
          > Looking forward for your expert guidance .
          >
          > Thanks & Regards,
          > Tarun

          Programming languages
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programmin
          g+languages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5
          =Cover+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=K9aG48xJ6fJ3Tyx2xwOstw> Computer
          security
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+la
          nguages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cov
          er+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=I6jwfPAfuAYxxW5Fbegj-A> Computer
          training
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+la
          nguages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cov
          er+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=3Y3Vwnu9SWubOX8u9M1f1g>
          Large format
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languag
          es&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=Cover+le
          tter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=jT2fYhCagC8hPBlWmQV8_w> Cover letter
          formats
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming
          +languages&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Large+format&w5=
          Cover+letter+formats&c=5&s=117&.sig=lP6buyGxlIeVTVk8SVuGlw>

          Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Crzy4c
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
            Well yes you're correct that JSON is just a string which can be put inside
            an XML body. But I'm not so sure that you will save on parsing time. As most
            consumers of a web service can already handle the XML parsing (and you'd
            have to parse the XML ANYway to get at the JSON object contained within.

            I'm not sure but I'd think that the net gain (if any) would be neglegable.

            But once again that's merely IMHO. Anyone else out here know or assume any
            different?

            Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
              On 2/21/06, Gugnani, Tarun <tarun.gugnani@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your inputs Mike !!
              > But i guess json object is nothing but an an string which can again be a
              > part of XML
              > <java>Here goes Json Object</java>
              > but i will save a lot of parsing time & probably i will gain on
              > performance. Thats what my feeling is..
              > as i am also new to JSON .. correct me if i am wrong .

              This seems somewhat counter to an SOA approach. Yes, "parsing" - or rather,
              eval-ing - JSON in a browser (or other JavaScript client) will most likely
              be faster than parsing XML. But now you are assuming knowledge and
              capabilities of your clients, which is antithetical to SOA.

              As someone else already pointed out, you're already going to have to have
              XML support on all clients and servers, so it's questionable as to why you'd
              want to have to support parsing and generation of JSON on all of them as
              well. Plus, you'll lose any ability to validate against an XML Schema by
              using JSON.

              My 2 cents.

              Regards,