Re: [json] Now! XML Free!

  • peter seliger
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
      hi all,

      here are my two cents:

      > So my suggestion is to drop the x. That yields Aja.

      how about DHTTP as analogon to DHTML - "Dynamic HTTP"
      since we do script the clients http(request)-interface.
      if the interchange-format will be JSON the whole thing
      becomes JSON-DHTTP as analogon to the already existing
      JSON-RPC [http://jsolait.net/examples/jsonrpc/index.xhtml%5d.

      so long - peterS. - pseliger@...
    • usidoesit
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006

        > So my suggestion is to drop the x. That yields Aja.
        >
        > King Aja was the grandfather of Rama. His consort was the heavenly
        > nymph Indumati.
        >
        > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.

        :-) I got tired of that album, yeah even with that drum solo...

        Douglas,

        My thought is to rename AJAX to JSON.

        The thinking went as follows(not an inverted pyramid, but I *will* get
        to the name issue):

        Goal: personal encryption page for passing around sensitive info in
        emails using simple shared secret passphrases.

        1) Leverage Java crypto libs, very nice.
        2) Serve in applet? NO. Applets still completely suck and have very
        little consistent support even in enterprise-level JBuilder.
        3) Flash applet. Huh, forget it. NO significant support for encryption.
        4) JavaWebStart. NO. Why the F would I want to.
        4.5) Besides sucky platforms, these applet solutions are anti-web,
        they leverage nothing. AJAX dev leverages easy layout, CSS, open,
        markup, agile, team, web.
        5) Ajax page going over browser-based SSL encrytion to java
        crypto-servlet. YES. WebLogic demo version easily does SSL socket.
        6) I won't use XML because of its bloat and brittleness,
        inappropriateness for most tasks.
        7) Use JSON, but the name?
        8) AJAJSON? nah
        9) AJSON? nah
        10) AJASON...uh, no. I don't want anything named "Jason"
        11) Just say AJAX, the "X" means anything, like a variable.

        This way you don't have to explain what you mean. AJAX is the
        accepted marketplace terminology. Stuff that goes on resumes.

        Oh no, don't tell me you like JASON?

        Well, how different is that from JSON? Isn't it kind of superfluous
        anyway, the Asynchronous thing, I mean if your doing JS and getting
        data over either XML or JSON it's going to be "asynchronous" compared
        to round-tripping?

        Best Regards,
        -Rich

        It's not Gonzo Marketing if you don't even know the names of the
        people you're talking to. Free books and newsletters. Stuck at 43
        members...
      • Stefan Gössner
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
          I agree with Rich. The question

          XML relates to Ajax as JSON relates to ???

          doesn't help much. More and more people gradually realize, that JSON
          is much more compatible to Ajax than XML (as the first 3 letters of
          'Ajax' suggest). So it seems to be much wiser to let JSON being
          closely associated with that incredible successful 'marketing term'.
          As time goes by people will forget, what that 'X' stands for. Compare
          it with 'Javascript' itself. Hardly anyone today thinks, that
          'Javascript' has something to do with 'Java' .. or am I wrong?

          We Germans mainly associate 'Ajax' with a cleaning agent, and Dutch
          people love their soccer club 'Ajax'.
          ---
          Stefan
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
            On 2/17/06, Stefan Gössner <stefan@...> wrote:

            > I agree with Rich. The question
            >
            > XML relates to Ajax as JSON relates to ???
            >
            > doesn't help much. More and more people gradually realize, that JSON
            > is much more compatible to Ajax than XML (as the first 3 letters of
            > 'Ajax' suggest). So it seems to be much wiser to let JSON being
            > closely associated with that incredible successful 'marketing term'.
            > As time goes by people will forget, what that 'X' stands for. Compare
            > it with 'Javascript' itself. Hardly anyone today thinks, that
            > 'Javascript' has something to do with 'Java' .. or am I wrong?

            Unfortunately, you're wrong. ;-( A lot of people - even some JavaScript
            developers - still think the two are very similar. (Why else would people
            create JavaScript toolkits that are designed to be "Swing-like", supposedly
            to make them familiar for Java developers?)

            We Germans mainly associate 'Ajax' with a cleaning agent, and Dutch
            > people love their soccer club 'Ajax'.

            Yeah, the UK has the Ajax cleaner too. ;-) And the ASF has a server named
            'ajax' that's physically located in the Netherlands, so nobody knows how the
            heck to pronounce it!

            ---
            > Stefan

          • Jason Levitt
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
              Douglas Crockford wrote:
              > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.

              You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)

              I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
              jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".

              So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates

              Anyone have a better word for the "R"?

              Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
              I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
              dictionary to prove it.

              --
              Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
              email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 17, 2006
                "JADU" -- Json And Dynamic Updating .....

                Does jadu mean anything?

                Jason Levitt wrote:
                > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                > > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.
                >
                > You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)
                >
                > I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
                > jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".
                >
                > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                >
                > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?
                >
                > Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
                > I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
                > dictionary to prove it.
                >
                > --
                > Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                > email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                > Programming languages
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=0PEyFkQsBX5AadGd5-Aakg>
                > Format
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=HnddU-GcXJv30Gk_COizAQ>
                > Computer security
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=4qPWfUSJtKxMQZWAfHpPqg>
                >
                > Computer training
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=shrrcuihEFfqa6NioYmoFw>
                > Large format
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=X1TJZ7F_hlYMRc_Egnoc-A>
                > Cover letter formats
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=jaZDO7F31mFCNn4e-f1lVQ>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net
              • Atif Aziz
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
                  Ah, I can give my 1 cent here...JADU means magic in Urdu and in Hindi. Really. :)

                  Many people may not be know about Urdu (principally spoken in Pakistan), but consider this...the sheer sum of Hindi and Urdu speakers across India and Pakistan would, I say, make JADU a pretty familiar word. :)

                  As for Ajax, I think one oughtn't to forget that beyond starting out as an acronym, its association with a cleaning agent had the subtle hint of taking a *clean new look* at how we build and approach web applications (revising some assumptions). The latter still applies, so whether JSON or XML stand out in the acronym isn't going to be a dear argument for anything except put some itches to rest. I like the comparison between Java and JavaScript. Everyone eventually realized that there was no correlation between the two except roots in the C syntax. In other words, it became clear very soon that it was merely a marketing stunt to tie the names together.

                  Jason Levitt wrote:
                  > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                  > > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.
                  >
                  > You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)
                  >
                  > I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
                  > jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".
                  >
                  > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                  >
                  > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?
                  >
                  > Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
                  > I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
                  > dictionary to prove it.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                  > email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                  > Programming languages
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=0PEyFkQsBX5AadGd5-Aakg>
                  > Format
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=HnddU-GcXJv30Gk_COizAQ>
                  > Computer security
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=4qPWfUSJtKxMQZWAfHpPqg>
                  >
                  > Computer training
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=shrrcuihEFfqa6NioYmoFw>
                  > Large format
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=X1TJZ7F_hlYMRc_Egnoc-A>
                  > Cover letter formats
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=jaZDO7F31mFCNn4e-f1lVQ>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                  Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                  email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                • Philip Tellis
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
                    Sometime on Feb 17, JL cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                    > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                    >
                    > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?

                    R - Remote.

                    --
                    ... A booming voice says, "Wrong, cretin!", and you notice that you
                    have turned into a pile of dust.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 18, 2006
                      Sometime on Feb 17, JL cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                      > "JADU" -- Json And Dynamic Updating .....
                      >
                      > Does jadu mean anything?

                      Depending on how you pronounce it, it could be a broom (jhadu in hindi)
                      or slang for a fat person (jadu in marathi)

                      --
                      Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
                      over the horizon.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                        What about

                        AWOX = Ajax WithOut XML
                        AIOX = Ajax Independent of XML
                      • Greg Macdonald
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
                          Take advantage of the branding.

                          AJAX Light - the simpler, faster AJAX

                          Greg

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 21, 2006
                            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Macdonald" <greg@...> wrote:

                            > Take advantage of the branding.
                            >
                            > AJAX Light - the simpler, faster AJAX
                            >
                            > Greg

                            Greg,

                            Good idea, what can we take advantage of in the AJAX juggernaught?

                            That is the right connection, a light one capable of being severed
                            when AJAX sinks.

                            At the risk of repeating, how about JSON?

                            Rolls off the tongue: Jason.

                            Think of the branding there though. Friday the 13th...Jason Lives.

                            -R

                            44 members now! learning to do the Gonzo...saying peoples names...