Re: [json] Now! XML Free!

  • MPCM
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16 11:25 AM
      I'm still saying javascript and use a broader term of interactive. The ajax
      moniker bothers me too much, I'm glad everyone else knows about these
      tools/techniques now, but most of them still don't get how it works or
      where/when to use it. I still like remote scripting the best, but it's been
      a while.

      --
      Matt

    • peter seliger
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 17 2:03 AM
        hi all,

        here are my two cents:

        > So my suggestion is to drop the x. That yields Aja.

        how about DHTTP as analogon to DHTML - "Dynamic HTTP"
        since we do script the clients http(request)-interface.
        if the interchange-format will be JSON the whole thing
        becomes JSON-DHTTP as analogon to the already existing
        JSON-RPC [http://jsolait.net/examples/jsonrpc/index.xhtml%5d.

        so long - peterS. - pseliger@...
      • usidoesit
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17 6:41 AM

          > So my suggestion is to drop the x. That yields Aja.
          >
          > King Aja was the grandfather of Rama. His consort was the heavenly
          > nymph Indumati.
          >
          > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.

          :-) I got tired of that album, yeah even with that drum solo...

          Douglas,

          My thought is to rename AJAX to JSON.

          The thinking went as follows(not an inverted pyramid, but I *will* get
          to the name issue):

          Goal: personal encryption page for passing around sensitive info in
          emails using simple shared secret passphrases.

          1) Leverage Java crypto libs, very nice.
          2) Serve in applet? NO. Applets still completely suck and have very
          little consistent support even in enterprise-level JBuilder.
          3) Flash applet. Huh, forget it. NO significant support for encryption.
          4) JavaWebStart. NO. Why the F would I want to.
          4.5) Besides sucky platforms, these applet solutions are anti-web,
          they leverage nothing. AJAX dev leverages easy layout, CSS, open,
          markup, agile, team, web.
          5) Ajax page going over browser-based SSL encrytion to java
          crypto-servlet. YES. WebLogic demo version easily does SSL socket.
          6) I won't use XML because of its bloat and brittleness,
          inappropriateness for most tasks.
          7) Use JSON, but the name?
          8) AJAJSON? nah
          9) AJSON? nah
          10) AJASON...uh, no. I don't want anything named "Jason"
          11) Just say AJAX, the "X" means anything, like a variable.

          This way you don't have to explain what you mean. AJAX is the
          accepted marketplace terminology. Stuff that goes on resumes.

          Oh no, don't tell me you like JASON?

          Well, how different is that from JSON? Isn't it kind of superfluous
          anyway, the Asynchronous thing, I mean if your doing JS and getting
          data over either XML or JSON it's going to be "asynchronous" compared
          to round-tripping?

          Best Regards,
          -Rich

          It's not Gonzo Marketing if you don't even know the names of the
          people you're talking to. Free books and newsletters. Stuck at 43
          members...
        • Stefan Gössner
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17 2:15 PM
            I agree with Rich. The question

            XML relates to Ajax as JSON relates to ???

            doesn't help much. More and more people gradually realize, that JSON
            is much more compatible to Ajax than XML (as the first 3 letters of
            'Ajax' suggest). So it seems to be much wiser to let JSON being
            closely associated with that incredible successful 'marketing term'.
            As time goes by people will forget, what that 'X' stands for. Compare
            it with 'Javascript' itself. Hardly anyone today thinks, that
            'Javascript' has something to do with 'Java' .. or am I wrong?

            We Germans mainly associate 'Ajax' with a cleaning agent, and Dutch
            people love their soccer club 'Ajax'.
            ---
            Stefan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 17 2:44 PM
              On 2/17/06, Stefan Gössner <stefan@...> wrote:

              > I agree with Rich. The question
              >
              > XML relates to Ajax as JSON relates to ???
              >
              > doesn't help much. More and more people gradually realize, that JSON
              > is much more compatible to Ajax than XML (as the first 3 letters of
              > 'Ajax' suggest). So it seems to be much wiser to let JSON being
              > closely associated with that incredible successful 'marketing term'.
              > As time goes by people will forget, what that 'X' stands for. Compare
              > it with 'Javascript' itself. Hardly anyone today thinks, that
              > 'Javascript' has something to do with 'Java' .. or am I wrong?

              Unfortunately, you're wrong. ;-( A lot of people - even some JavaScript
              developers - still think the two are very similar. (Why else would people
              create JavaScript toolkits that are designed to be "Swing-like", supposedly
              to make them familiar for Java developers?)

              We Germans mainly associate 'Ajax' with a cleaning agent, and Dutch
              > people love their soccer club 'Ajax'.

              Yeah, the UK has the Ajax cleaner too. ;-) And the ASF has a server named
              'ajax' that's physically located in the Netherlands, so nobody knows how the
              heck to pronounce it!

              ---
              > Stefan

            • Jason Levitt
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 17 2:55 PM
                Douglas Crockford wrote:
                > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.

                You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)

                I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
                jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".

                So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates

                Anyone have a better word for the "R"?

                Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
                I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
                dictionary to prove it.

                --
                Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 17 4:32 PM
                  "JADU" -- Json And Dynamic Updating .....

                  Does jadu mean anything?

                  Jason Levitt wrote:
                  > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                  > > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.
                  >
                  > You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)
                  >
                  > I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
                  > jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".
                  >
                  > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                  >
                  > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?
                  >
                  > Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
                  > I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
                  > dictionary to prove it.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                  > email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                  > Programming languages
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=0PEyFkQsBX5AadGd5-Aakg>
                  > Format
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=HnddU-GcXJv30Gk_COizAQ>
                  > Computer security
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=4qPWfUSJtKxMQZWAfHpPqg>
                  >
                  > Computer training
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=shrrcuihEFfqa6NioYmoFw>
                  > Large format
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=X1TJZ7F_hlYMRc_Egnoc-A>
                  > Cover letter formats
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=jaZDO7F31mFCNn4e-f1lVQ>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                  Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                  email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net
                • Atif Aziz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 18 12:42 AM
                    Ah, I can give my 1 cent here...JADU means magic in Urdu and in Hindi. Really. :)

                    Many people may not be know about Urdu (principally spoken in Pakistan), but consider this...the sheer sum of Hindi and Urdu speakers across India and Pakistan would, I say, make JADU a pretty familiar word. :)

                    As for Ajax, I think one oughtn't to forget that beyond starting out as an acronym, its association with a cleaning agent had the subtle hint of taking a *clean new look* at how we build and approach web applications (revising some assumptions). The latter still applies, so whether JSON or XML stand out in the acronym isn't going to be a dear argument for anything except put some itches to rest. I like the comparison between Java and JavaScript. Everyone eventually realized that there was no correlation between the two except roots in the C syntax. In other words, it became clear very soon that it was merely a marketing stunt to tie the names together.

                    Jason Levitt wrote:
                    > Douglas Crockford wrote:
                    > > Aja was also a top rated Steely Dan album.
                    >
                    > You might end up explaining who Steely Dan is as well.... :)
                    >
                    > I was trying to think of an acronym based on the (even more obscure)
                    > jazz standard tune by Duke Jordan, "JORDU".
                    >
                    > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                    >
                    > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?
                    >
                    > Or, maybe, JOWDU = JsOn With Dynamic Updates
                    > I think jowdu might be a French word but I don't have a good enough
                    > dictionary to prove it.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                    > email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                    > Programming languages
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=0PEyFkQsBX5AadGd5-Aakg>
                    > Format
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=HnddU-GcXJv30Gk_COizAQ>
                    > Computer security
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=4qPWfUSJtKxMQZWAfHpPqg>
                    >
                    > Computer training
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=shrrcuihEFfqa6NioYmoFw>
                    > Large format
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Large+format&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=X1TJZ7F_hlYMRc_Egnoc-A>
                    > Cover letter formats
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cover+letter+formats&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Format&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Large+format&w6=Cover+letter+formats&c=6&s=129&.sig=jaZDO7F31mFCNn4e-f1lVQ>

                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                    Jason Levitt | Evangelista Técnico | Yahoo Developer Network
                    email: jlevitt@... http://developer.yahoo.net

                  • Philip Tellis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 18 3:01 AM
                      Sometime on Feb 17, JL cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                      > So, maybe, JORDU = JsOn, Relish, Dynamic Updates
                      >
                      > Anyone have a better word for the "R"?

                      R - Remote.

                      --
                      ... A booming voice says, "Wrong, cretin!", and you notice that you
                      have turned into a pile of dust.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 18 3:03 AM
                        Sometime on Feb 17, JL cobbled together some glyphs to say:

                        > "JADU" -- Json And Dynamic Updating .....
                        >
                        > Does jadu mean anything?

                        Depending on how you pronounce it, it could be a broom (jhadu in hindi)
                        or slang for a fat person (jadu in marathi)

                        --
                        Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
                        over the horizon.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 19 5:55 AM
                          What about

                          AWOX = Ajax WithOut XML
                          AIOX = Ajax Independent of XML
                        • Greg Macdonald
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 19 10:58 AM
                            Take advantage of the branding.

                            AJAX Light - the simpler, faster AJAX

                            Greg

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 21 12:51 PM
                              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Macdonald" <greg@...> wrote:

                              > Take advantage of the branding.
                              >
                              > AJAX Light - the simpler, faster AJAX
                              >
                              > Greg

                              Greg,

                              Good idea, what can we take advantage of in the AJAX juggernaught?

                              That is the right connection, a light one capable of being severed
                              when AJAX sinks.

                              At the risk of repeating, how about JSON?

                              Rolls off the tongue: Jason.

                              Think of the branding there though. Friday the 13th...Jason Lives.

                              -R

                              44 members now! learning to do the Gonzo...saying peoples names...