Re: [json] JSON and Firefox Javascript Console

  • Michal Migurski
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
      > I'm trying out JSON and I find it really easy to produce and
      > manipulate. But I have some concerns regarding FireFox's Javascript
      > Console. I'm using 1.5 btw, PHP-JSON and json.js from json.org.
      >
      > Everytime I try to pass back a json string from a PHP script using
      > "echo", I always get an error message on FFox's Javascript Console.

      The JSON string looks fine. Could it be that you are just evaluating
      it directly in the browser, without adding any context such as "var
      foo = [...];" ?

    • Mike D
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
        well, here's the line that grabs the json string:
        var jsonObj = JSON.parse(http.responseText);

        fyi: Im using the JSON Parser from json.org

        Do you think I/we should consider this an FF issue since the errors doesn't show up on IE and Opera and it is functioning pretty well? I was just concerned that there might be something wrong with my json string.

        Thanks

        Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@...> wrote: > I'm trying out JSON and I find it really easy to produce and
        > manipulate. But I have some concerns regarding FireFox's Javascript
        > Console. I'm using 1.5 btw, PHP-JSON and json.js from json.org.
        >
        > Everytime I try to pass back a json string from a PHP script using
        > "echo", I always get an error message on FFox's Javascript Console.

        The JSON string looks fine. Could it be that you are just evaluating
        it directly in the browser, without adding any context such as "var
        foo = [...];" ?

        Json Programming languages Format Computer security Computer training Large format

      • Jim Washington
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
          Mike D wrote:

          >well, here's the line that grabs the json string:
          >var jsonObj = JSON.parse(http.responseText);
          >
          >fyi: Im using the JSON Parser from json.org
          >
          >Do you think I/we should consider this an FF issue since the errors doesn't show up on IE and Opera and it is functioning pretty well? I was just concerned that there might be something wrong with my json string.

          What content-type are you sending with your JSON? Is there a charset
          involved?

          I've found that similar "I can't parse this" issues are sometimes
          resolved if you use "application/x-javascript" for content-type.

          Worth a try, at least.

          -Jim Washington
        • Mike D
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
            lol I give up. I tried using several charsets along with text/plain, text/javascript, application/x-javascript, application/javascript and application/x-_javascript but the error is still there.

            The JSON object gets parsed perfectly though. I just hate seeing these errors on my JS Console everytime I test the page.

            Thanks