Re: [json] Internet Draft

  • Andrew Durdin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
      > I have submitted a draft to IETF. You can see it here:
      > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jsonorg-json-00.txt

      A few comments:

      1. Is there any reason you're specifying characters in two different
      styles? For example, in 2.0 you've got:

      <begin-object> = %x7B ; { left brace

      Then in 2.1, you have:

      space U+0020 Space

      Why the difference? If the declarations as per 2.1 form part of a
      grammar in the syntax expected by some common parser generator, then
      why isn't whitespace declared in the same form?

      2. Why the esoteric name "reverse virgule" (section 2.6 and
      throughout) ? The normative name in Unicode 4 for U+005C is "reverse
      solidus", with "backslash" as an alias. I recommend using the term
      "backslash" throughout (as it will be more familiar to readers) and
      mentioning the name "reverse solidus" in section 2.6 where you give
      the code point (and similarly giving the normative names for other
      characters where you give the code point -- for example U+007B is
      "left curly bracket", U+0009 is "character tabulation").

      3. In section 6, you use the vague term "safe". I think a better
      description would be useful, something along the lines of "A text
      containing only JSON tokens is safe to eval because the JSON subset of
      JavaScript does not contain any assignments, function calls, or other
      executable statements."

      Cheers,

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thank you everyone on your comments on the Internet Draft. I am
        preparing a revision. I have encorporated most of your suggestions.
        The current state can be found at
        http://www.json.org/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-01.txt