Re: Internet Draft

  • Robert Cerny
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...> wrote:

      > > It would help, if Generators and Parsers across implementations would
      > > use the same names for doing the same thing. A name recommendation,
      > > would go, in the respective section 3 or 4.
      > >

      > How would that help?

      It would help developers, in particular those, who use JSON in many
      languages. More likley that the first guess is right, less time
      searching docs. Even on completion you got better chances. So to cut
      it short: More fun working. And if that isn't something worth aspiring to.
    • Andrew Durdin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
        > I have submitted a draft to IETF. You can see it here:
        > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jsonorg-json-00.txt

        A few comments:

        1. Is there any reason you're specifying characters in two different
        styles? For example, in 2.0 you've got:

        <begin-object> = %x7B ; { left brace

        Then in 2.1, you have:

        space U+0020 Space

        Why the difference? If the declarations as per 2.1 form part of a
        grammar in the syntax expected by some common parser generator, then
        why isn't whitespace declared in the same form?

        2. Why the esoteric name "reverse virgule" (section 2.6 and
        throughout) ? The normative name in Unicode 4 for U+005C is "reverse
        solidus", with "backslash" as an alias. I recommend using the term
        "backslash" throughout (as it will be more familiar to readers) and
        mentioning the name "reverse solidus" in section 2.6 where you give
        the code point (and similarly giving the normative names for other
        characters where you give the code point -- for example U+007B is
        "left curly bracket", U+0009 is "character tabulation").

        3. In section 6, you use the vague term "safe". I think a better
        description would be useful, something along the lines of "A text
        containing only JSON tokens is safe to eval because the JSON subset of
        JavaScript does not contain any assignments, function calls, or other
        executable statements."

        Cheers,

        Andrew
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thank you everyone on your comments on the Internet Draft. I am
          preparing a revision. I have encorporated most of your suggestions.
          The current state can be found at
          http://www.json.org/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-01.txt