Re: Internet Draft

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
      > In Section 5 you assert that the MIME media type is "text/json" ... is
      > that true? I can't find evidence of this.

      My intention is to have IANA bless "text/json". They first want to see
      an IETF RFC. The first step in creating an RFC is the submission of an
      Internet Draft to IETF. That is where we are now.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006

        > > * In section 2.5 on numbers, there is the statement "Leading zeros
        > are not
        > > allowed as that could lead to confusion". I don't understand why leading
        > > zeros would be confusing, expecially when octal and hex forms are not
        > > supported.
        >
        > In JavaScript, leading zero means octal. If JSON allowed leading zeros
        > that do not indicate octal, then it would not be a subset of
        > JavaScript. JSON seeks to be minimal, portable, and a subset of
        > JavaScript.

        IMHO, this would be a better - and more honest - explanation than just
        saying it's confusing.

        Leading zeros are subject to confusion. The public schools tell us
        > they indicate non-significance in decimal. The C languages tell us
        > they indicate octal. Since they ultimately carry no information, it is
        > best to do away with them.

      • Robert Cerny
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...> wrote:

          > > It would help, if Generators and Parsers across implementations would
          > > use the same names for doing the same thing. A name recommendation,
          > > would go, in the respective section 3 or 4.
          > >

          > How would that help?

          It would help developers, in particular those, who use JSON in many
          languages. More likley that the first guess is right, less time
          searching docs. Even on completion you got better chances. So to cut
          it short: More fun working. And if that isn't something worth aspiring to.
        • Andrew Durdin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
            > I have submitted a draft to IETF. You can see it here:
            > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jsonorg-json-00.txt

            A few comments:

            1. Is there any reason you're specifying characters in two different
            styles? For example, in 2.0 you've got:

            <begin-object> = %x7B ; { left brace

            Then in 2.1, you have:

            space U+0020 Space

            Why the difference? If the declarations as per 2.1 form part of a
            grammar in the syntax expected by some common parser generator, then
            why isn't whitespace declared in the same form?

            2. Why the esoteric name "reverse virgule" (section 2.6 and
            throughout) ? The normative name in Unicode 4 for U+005C is "reverse
            solidus", with "backslash" as an alias. I recommend using the term
            "backslash" throughout (as it will be more familiar to readers) and
            mentioning the name "reverse solidus" in section 2.6 where you give
            the code point (and similarly giving the normative names for other
            characters where you give the code point -- for example U+007B is
            "left curly bracket", U+0009 is "character tabulation").

            3. In section 6, you use the vague term "safe". I think a better
            description would be useful, something along the lines of "A text
            containing only JSON tokens is safe to eval because the JSON subset of
            JavaScript does not contain any assignments, function calls, or other
            executable statements."

            Cheers,

            Andrew
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
              Thank you everyone on your comments on the Internet Draft. I am
              preparing a revision. I have encorporated most of your suggestions.
              The current state can be found at
              http://www.json.org/draft-crockford-jsonorg-json-01.txt