Re: [json] JSON and YAML

  • Dave Balmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      Am I the only one who wonders why the heck JSON needs to be YAML
      compliant? I'll put aside the fact that YAML looks insanely
      complicated and instead ask... what on Earth does JSON and YAML have
      in common that would introduce this new requirement to an otherwise
      sleek and simple format (JSON)?

      Thanks,
      Dave

      On Jan 12, 2006, at 4:30 AM, Atif Aziz wrote:

      > > > Can you absolutely confirm this? Is it true today? I have not seen
      > > > this claim anywhere.
      > >
      > > The statement is not true...yet. YAML has two productions
      > > in which spaces are significant where in JSON they are not.
      > > I hope they can resolve that soon.
      >
      > Thanks for clarifying this [1]. Just for completeness, could you
      > expand on which productions these are? The only one that I am aware of
      > at the moment is the colon space in hashes. What's the other one?
      > Comma space between each value of a sequential list or dictionary?
      >
      > Also, we are talking about YAML 1.1 [2] only, right?
      >
      > - Atif

      > [2] http://yaml.org/spec/current.html
      >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "json" on the web.

      "You like Chinese food." -- Actual fortune cookie I received once.
    • Atif Aziz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2006
        Dave, you're not the only one. I am assuming you're feeling lonely :-)
        because you may have missed my sentiments on the subject. I expressed
        the same concerns and a call for comment in message #159 [1] when
        Douglas reasoned, "...removing comments aligns JSON more closely with
        YAML."

        - Atif

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
          > > YAML has two productions
          > > in which spaces are significant where in JSON they are not.
          > > I hope they can resolve that soon.
          >
          > Thanks for clarifying this [1]. Just for completeness, could you
          > expand on which productions these are? The only one that I am aware of
          > at the moment is the colon space in hashes. What's the other one?
          > Comma space between each value of a sequential list or dictionary?

          Yes. The problem is that they allow comma as a thousands separator, so
          [1,999] produces a different result than [1, 999].