JSON and YAML

  • Atif Aziz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      > > > JSON is a strict subset of...YAML
      > > Can you absolutely confirm this? Is it true today? I have not seen
      > > this claim anywhere.
      >
      > The statement is not true...yet. YAML has two productions
      > in which spaces are significant where in JSON they are not.
      > I hope they can resolve that soon.

      Thanks for clarifying this [1]. Just for completeness, could you
      expand on which productions these are? The only one that I am aware of
      at the moment is the colon space in hashes. What's the other one?
      Comma space between each value of a sequential list or dictionary?

      Also, we are talking about YAML 1.1 [2] only, right?

      - Atif

      [2] http://yaml.org/spec/current.html
    • Dave Balmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
        Am I the only one who wonders why the heck JSON needs to be YAML
        compliant? I'll put aside the fact that YAML looks insanely
        complicated and instead ask... what on Earth does JSON and YAML have
        in common that would introduce this new requirement to an otherwise
        sleek and simple format (JSON)?

        Thanks,
        Dave

        On Jan 12, 2006, at 4:30 AM, Atif Aziz wrote:

        > > > Can you absolutely confirm this? Is it true today? I have not seen
        > > > this claim anywhere.
        > >
        > > The statement is not true...yet. YAML has two productions
        > > in which spaces are significant where in JSON they are not.
        > > I hope they can resolve that soon.
        >
        > Thanks for clarifying this [1]. Just for completeness, could you
        > expand on which productions these are? The only one that I am aware of
        > at the moment is the colon space in hashes. What's the other one?
        > Comma space between each value of a sequential list or dictionary?
        >
        > Also, we are talking about YAML 1.1 [2] only, right?
        >
        > - Atif

        > [2] http://yaml.org/spec/current.html
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "json" on the web.

        "You like Chinese food." -- Actual fortune cookie I received once.
      • Atif Aziz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2006
          Dave, you're not the only one. I am assuming you're feeling lonely :-)
          because you may have missed my sentiments on the subject. I expressed
          the same concerns and a call for comment in message #159 [1] when
          Douglas reasoned, "...removing comments aligns JSON more closely with
          YAML."

          - Atif

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
            > > YAML has two productions
            > > in which spaces are significant where in JSON they are not.
            > > I hope they can resolve that soon.
            >
            > Thanks for clarifying this [1]. Just for completeness, could you
            > expand on which productions these are? The only one that I am aware of
            > at the moment is the colon space in hashes. What's the other one?
            > Comma space between each value of a sequential list or dictionary?

            Yes. The problem is that they allow comma as a thousands separator, so
            [1,999] produces a different result than [1, 999].