Re: [json] Re: Strings

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006

      > > My comments on comments (pun intended), however, still stand in face
      > > of weak and subjective arguments that they are not needed. It is
      > > precisely in the light of such concerns that I was hoping that
      > > comments warrant a mention!
      >
      > I used to agree what comments would be useful. But since I started
      > using JSON, I never discovered what that use was. I have seen them
      > used very badly. I have asked several times what the value is that
      > requires that support be added to every implementation. I am still
      > listening.

      You're not convinced that saving developers' time is valuable?

      OK, then, how about compatibility? There are lots of JSON implementations
      out there already, and I'm sure most of them already support comments, my
      own included. Interoperability between those and new ones would be reduced
      by eliminating comments from the spec now. The cat is already out of the
      bag.

    • jemptymethod
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...> wrote:

        > JSON requires that keys be quoted because of an error in the
        > ECMAScript spec that disallows the use of unquoted reserved words as
        > keys. The list of reserved words is surprisingly long and difficult to
        > remember. The best practice is to always quote keys.

        I don't think this is "an error in the ... spec" .... I can think of
        at least one other language that disallows unquoted reserved words as
        keys (Lua), and there are others I'm certain