Large JSON dataset examples?

  • Paul A. Steckler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23 11:37 AM
      Hi -- I'm looking for freely-available large datasets in JSON format.

      I'm aware that I can pull down Twitter data, but I'd like some other sources.

      Thanks for any help.

      -- Paul
    • Stephan Beal
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23 11:43 AM
        On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Paul A. Steckler <steck@...>wrote:

        > **
        > Hi -- I'm looking for freely-available large datasets in JSON format.
        >
        > I'm aware that I can pull down Twitter data, but I'd like some other
        > sources.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

        If you're just interested in the amount of data, not the meaning, and have
        access to a few mysql or sqlite databases, here's a tool which can dump
        those (in the form of SQL queries) to JSON:

        http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/wikis/cson/?page=select-to-json

        Good luck!

        --
        ----- stephan beal
        http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

      • wjosdejong
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23 11:48 AM
          How large datasets do you have in mind? Do they need to contain real data?

          You could query youtube results for example:
          https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos?q=football&orderby=published&start-index=1&max-results=50&alt=json

          About 8000 nodes, 166 kB, 7 levels deep

          And you could of course generate something random and big yourself...
        • ysharp.design
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2014

            Hi,

            At some point, I prepared circa a 10th of one of mine using this, to get a megabyte file size, or so:

            http://experiments.mennovanslooten.nl/2010/mockjson/tryit.html

            (then, I just concatenated it to itself several times to end up with a 12MB file [1])

            There's also this one, modeling some "real world" data:

            https://github.com/zeMirco/sf-city-lots-json

            'Hth,

            Cyril

            [1] https://github.com/ysharplanguage/FastJsonParser/blob/master/JsonTest/TestData/fathers.json.txt