Re: Stripping comments from JSON.

  • douglascrockford
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26 5:41 AM
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gamble <davegamble@...> wrote:
      > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      > > 'json%40yahoogroups.com');>, Dave Gamble <davegamble@> wrote:
      > > > Will be very appreciative of any thought/feedback on the matter. Sorry if
      > > > this one has come up before and I've not seen the thread.
      > >
      > > Have you read the JSON RFC? http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt
      > >
      > > Of course. However, in the wild, there appears (and this may in fact not
      > be the case, and the root of my confusion) to be consensus that parsers
      > should "keep JSON pure", and reject comments.
      >
      > I understand that according to the RFC parsing comments natively is
      > acceptable, but it seems to be generally frowned upon.

      ECMAScript's JSON.parse is very strict. The design assumption was that if you allow web developers to do something really stupid, many of them will. So a lenient JSON parser in JavaScript would effectively break JSON compatibility with other languages.
    • Dave Gamble
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26 7:13 AM
        On Sunday, May 26, 2013, douglascrockford wrote:

        > **
        >

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
        > 'json%40yahoogroups.com');>, Dave Gamble <davegamble@...> wrote:
        > > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
        > 'json%40yahoogroups.com');> <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
        > Sorry if
        > > >
        > > > Have you read the JSON RFC? http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt
        > > >
        > > > Of course. However, in the wild, there appears (and this may in fact
        > not
        > > be the case, and the root of my confusion) to be consensus that parsers
        > > should "keep JSON pure", and reject comments.
        > >
        > > I understand that according to the RFC parsing comments natively is
        > > acceptable, but it seems to be generally frowned upon.
        >
        > ECMAScript's JSON.parse is very strict. The design assumption was that if
        > you allow web developers to do something really stupid, many of them will.
        > So a lenient JSON parser in JavaScript would effectively break JSON
        > compatibility with other languages.
        >

        > Ok. That makes sense. The method I'm proposing really doesn't encourage
        anyone to do anything stupid, since the Parse function remains equally
        strict.

        Cheers!

        Dave.

      • Jonathan Wallace
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26 6:31 PM
          Many libraries have support for comments. Libjson for example supports /* c comments */, //c++ comments, and #bash comments

          Sent from my iPhone