Re: [json] Re: Comments

  • Peter Ring
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
      Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
      language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
      more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
      power rather than bit-munging.

      Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

      If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

      If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
      using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
      there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
      dirty details.

      Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
      JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
      them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
      restrict it.

      The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
      effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
      to share a notation for comments anyway.

      [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

      Kind regards
      Peter Ring

      Atif Aziz wrote:
      >>I think the real crux...
      >

      > As I said, I have a sneaking hunch that the real issue stems from tying
      > JSON to YAML. With the comments debate generating some traffic, I feel
      > less daring at this point to open up the disappearing of single-quoted
      > strings gone as well as unquoted member names (at least on the decoding
      > end). I am hoping Douglas will provide some insight so everyone can
      > build a better understanding of the decisions that lead to several
      > cutbacks in the specs. I think focusing the discussion too much on
      > comments is really just avoiding a more fundamental issue. Does anyone
      > agree or am I just rambling here?

    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006