getting the "pair" and "element" terms into more widespread usage

  • Ben Atkin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2012
      I wrote a blog post about JSON terminology after I figured out how to
      design the API for a JSON tool I'm making. After I finished I became
      curious if anyone on this list is using the terms *pair* and
      *element*, from the JSON spec.

      http://benatkin.com/2012/09/11/json-has-elements-too/

      Are any of you using these terms? Do you think they enhance
      understanding of JSON, or are just grammar details? Do you agree that
      heavy use of the XML terminology helps people work through its
      complexity?

      Ben
    • Gregg Irwin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2012
        Hi Ben,

        BA> http://benatkin.com/2012/09/11/json-has-elements-too/

        BA> Are any of you using these terms? Do you think they enhance
        BA> understanding of JSON, or are just grammar details? Do you agree that
        BA> heavy use of the XML terminology helps people work through its
        BA> complexity?

        I can't think of a reason *not* to use the terms consistently. It
        helps to be specific. e.g., having a function designed to remove a
        'value from an array has a different meaning than one that removes an
        'element.

        Douglas Crockford probably thought about it, and carefully chose the
        term 'pair. I was going to argue against it, but changed my mind. My
        alternatives would just be lateral moves.

        --Gregg