Re: Strings

  • George
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
      I agree 100% with you.
      Do as I do and use Javascript Object Literals as they are specified in
      the Javascript or ECMAScript Reference.

      Anything the JS parser allows is considered valid:
      - Comments
      - Quoted/Unquoted keys
      - Numbered Keys
      - Single/Double Quotes
      - Scientific Notation
      - Unicode

      It is up to the coder to define 'best practices' not the format to
      impose or restrict them.

      Then again, it is a 'subset' of JavaScript Object Literals, lowest
      common denominator to be compatible with other languages.

      If your target are web apps, HTML and JS, just go and use the whole
      set and more.

      Crockford knows I always opposed his stubbornness ;-)

      George

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@g...> wrote:

      > On 1/3/06, Douglas Crockford <douglas@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > JSON has a string notation which is similar to that used in the C
      > > family languages. Strings are bounded by double quote characters.
      > > Escapement is provided by the backslash. The spec specifically allows
      > > the slash to be escaped so that JSON can be delivered in HTML
      documents.

      > These statements have me really wondering about what JSON is
      supposed to be.
      > The reasoning behind removing comments was that it would "more
      closely align
      > JSON with YAML and Python". Now we have double quoted strings only,
      which is
      > "similar to that used in the C family language", and so that it "can be
      > delivered in HTML documents".
      >
      > And here was me blithely thinking JSON was supposed to be a "JavaScript
      > Object Notation". What happened to the JavaScript focus? With all due
      > respect, it's beginning to seem like JSON is supposed to be a minimalist
      > object notation that's compatible with JavaScript and as many other
      > languages as possible. Perhaps it should be renamed "MON" for
      Minimal Object
      > Notation? ;-) The "JSON" moniker is seeming less and less appropriate.
      >
      > The single quote convention is not included in JSON because it is not
      > > needed.
      >

      > It wasn't "needed" in JavaScript / ECMAScript either, but they still
      > included it. It's convenient because it frequently allows you to avoid
      > backslashes / escapes in string literals.
      >
      > All strings can be represented with the double quote notation.
      > > C itself does not have single quote strings. Many PHP programmers are
      > > confused by JavaScript's single quote strings.
      >

      > Add PHP to the list of non-JavaScript languages JSON is trying to cater
      > to... (... and add PHP programmers to my list of not-so-smart-folks
      if they
      > can't understand string quoting... ;)
      >
      > JSON requires that keys be quoted because of an error in the
      > > ECMAScript spec that disallows the use of unquoted reserved words as
      > > keys. The list of reserved words is surprisingly long and difficult to
      > > remember. The best practice is to always quote keys.
      >

      > That is a good reason to document a "best practice". It is in no way a
      > reason to ban people from using unquoted key names.
      >
      > As an historical note, the very first JSON message contained as one of
      > > its keys the word "do". It was not quoted, and it caused a syntax
      error.

      > Not a good start, huh? ;-)
      >
      > --
      > Martin Cooper

    • Michal Migurski
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
        > And here was me blithely thinking JSON was supposed to be a
        > "JavaScript
        > Object Notation". What happened to the JavaScript focus? With all due
        > respect, it's beginning to seem like JSON is supposed to be a
        > minimalist
        > object notation that's compatible with JavaScript and as many other
        > languages as possible.

        Beginning to? I thought this was the idea all along? Syntax that's
        valid Javascript, Python, and easy to write parsers for other
        languages. I'm already using it in a number of situations where
        Javascript plays no role whatsoever (e.g., interprocess communication
        between Python and PHP), and its simplicity makes me quite happy.

        > Add PHP to the list of non-JavaScript languages JSON is trying to
        > cater
        > to... (... and add PHP programmers to my list of not-so-smart-folks
        > if they
        > can't understand string quoting... ;)

        !

        Honestly, I don't understand the desire to gum up the works here.
        Comments, quoting options - use raw Javascript or XOXO for strings,
        lists and dictionaries if you need such extras. JSON as a spec is
        simple, elegant, and complete.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006

          > > And here was me blithely thinking JSON was supposed to be a "JavaScript
          > > Object Notation". What happened to the JavaScript focus? With all due
          > > respect, it's beginning to seem like JSON is supposed to be a minimalist
          > > object notation that's compatible with JavaScript and as many other
          > > languages as possible.
          >
          > That is correct.
          >
          > JSON is a text format that is completely language independent

          Then can you please explain why it is called JavaScript Object Notation?

          but uses

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
            > Then can you please explain why it is called JavaScript Object Notation?

            JSON is based on a subset of the JavaScript Programming Language,
            Standard ECMA-262 3rd Edition - December 1999.

            See http://www.JSON.org/
          • Atif Aziz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006

              It is up to the coder to define 'best practices' not the format to
              impose or restrict them.
              <<

              Agreed. The problem lies in some of the inconsistencies surrounding
              the goals, purpose and application of JSON and which I am interested
              in seeing disambiguated. As it stands, right now, the contents of
              the specification are, without a doubt, really good enough for a
              machine encoder. There is little information in there to guide the
              decoders. A human encoder is only at the mercy of the decoder's
              flexibility and there's even more trouble if the implementation
              swaps from underneath his or her feet. Why are humans such a big
              issue? Well, it's right there as the second claim in the
              specification: "It is easy for humans to read and write." The rules
              about strings and unquotable member names is less of a concern for
              humans because allowing a smaller subset means remembering fewer
              rules. However, the resistance to mention comments whatsoever is
              just incomprehensible and beyond me.

              Then again, it is a 'subset' of JavaScript Object Literals, lowest
              common denominator to be compatible with other languages.
              <<

              Incidentally, what is a data format doing concerning itself with
              lanugages and bindings? I can understand leveraging familiarity with
              existing syntax across the C-family of languages, but that can only
              be used with grain of salt in the design of the data format. The
              lowest common denominator argument is only good enough while things
              remain simple.

              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgenava@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              to cater
              > > to... (... and add PHP programmers to my list of not-so-smart-
              folks
              > if they
              > > can't understand string quoting... ;)
              > >
              > > JSON requires that keys be quoted because of an error in the
              > > > ECMAScript spec that disallows the use of unquoted reserved
              words as
              > > > keys. The list of reserved words is surprisingly long and
              difficult to
              > > > remember. The best practice is to always quote keys.
              > >

              > > That is a good reason to document a "best practice". It is in no
              way a
              > > reason to ban people from using unquoted key names.
              > >
              > > As an historical note, the very first JSON message contained as
              one of
              > > > its keys the word "do". It was not quoted, and it caused a

            • Atif Aziz
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                Dave said [1]:

                And who took away single quoted strings and unquoted member names?!
                Hell yes, I'd like to see the reasoning for changes like that, too.<<
                <<

                I'd like apologize for this misconception and correct where I have
                been wrong. It appears that the spec never actually endorsed
                unquoted keys or single-quote strings. I went back and looked at the
                earliest version of the spec [2] I could find (dated Apr 17, 2003)
                and there's no mention of it in there. So technically speaking, it
                was never removed (unlike comments, which were). Whether they should
                be added is another story altogether. Right now, I'd just like to
                stick to clarification.

                The confusion came from two sources. First of all, the JSON spec
                seemed small enough to keep in the head. In fact, the easiest rule
                to remember was that, aside from expressions, JSON is really just a
                formalization of JavaScript's literal notation for dictionaries,
                arrays and primitives like strings, numbers, booleans and null. It
                turns out that it's a little less than that, but this detail fades
                away as you spend time in the various implementations; therein lies
                the second problem. Most implementations seem to be exercising (and
                rightly so) a good axiom of the web, "Be liberal in what you require
                but conservative in what you do." So the spec is clear and thorough
                from the encoding perspective (conservative) and no one has
                questioned that (some have been calling it "best practices"). The
                decoding end, however, varies a lot and leads to confusion
                (including my own rearding quotes). I originally started my C#
                implementation as a re-factoring of the Java version 0.1 [3]. At the
                time, this is what was said about the parser's level of tolerance:

                The texts produced by the toString() methods are very strict. The
                constructors are more forgiving in the texts they will accept.

                - An extra comma may appear just before the closing brace.
                - Strings may be quoted with single quotes.
                - Strings do not need to be quoted at all if they do not contain
                leading or trailing spaces, and if they do not contain any of these
                characters: { } [ ] / \ : ,
                - Numbers may have the 0- (octal) or 0x- (hex) prefix.

                The second and third point had somehow ruined my memory of the spec
                as I started spending more time in unit-testing and bootstrapping
                the parser with hand-coded JSON samples. The original JavaScript
                implementation [4] was on par with the above level of acceptance. In
                fact, both allowed more JavaScript literals to be expressed than
                JSON permits (which you could argue was reasonable). Today, version
                2.0 of the Java implementation [4] has gone considerably more
                liberal:

                The constructors are more forgiving in the texts they will accept:

                - An extra , (comma) may appear just before the closing brace.
                - Strings may be quoted with ' (single quote).
                - Strings do not need to be quoted at all if they do not begin with
                a quote or single quote, and if they do not contain leading or
                trailing spaces, and if they do not contain any of these characters:
                { } [ ] / \ : , = ; # and if they do not look like numbers and if
                they are not the reserved words true, false, or null.
                - Keys can be followed by = or => as well as by :.
                - Values can be followed by ; (semicolon) as well as by , (comma).
                - Numbers may have the 0- (octal) or 0x- (hex) prefix.
                - Comments written in the slashshlash, slashstar, and hash
                conventions will be ignored.

                Fine, so these are the decisions of merely one implementation. What
                is disturbing, however, is that the JavaScript version has gone
                completely in the opposite direction in favor of speed; so as to be
                able to benefit from native parsing provided strict adherence to the
                JSON token space. Consequently, it's gone intolerant and sticks to
                the encoding specification, bit-by-bit. So much so, that a JSON
                sample (incidentally with comments) on the site [6] won't pass it.
                Again, if this was done in a compatible manner then it would be less
                of a problem, but I consider these to be *reference* implementations
                of the standard!

                My comments on comments (pun intended), however, still stand in face
                of weak and subjective arguments that they are not needed. It is
                precisely in the light of such concerns that I was hoping that
                comments warrant a mention!

                -Atif

                ON/javadoc/org/json/JSONObject.html
                [4] http://shrinkster.com/ahs ;
                http://www.raboof.com/Projects/Jayrock/json.js
                [5] http://shrinkster.com/aht ;
                http://www.crockford.com/JSON/javadoc/org/json/JSONObject.html
                [6] http://shrinkster.com/ahu ;
                http://www.crockford.com/JSON/example.html

                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                  > My comments on comments (pun intended), however, still stand in face
                  > of weak and subjective arguments that they are not needed. It is
                  > precisely in the light of such concerns that I was hoping that
                  > comments warrant a mention!

                  I used to agree what comments would be useful. But since I started
                  using JSON, I never discovered what that use was. I have seen them
                  used very badly. I have asked several times what the value is that
                  requires that support be added to every implementation. I am still
                  listening.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006

                    > > My comments on comments (pun intended), however, still stand in face
                    > > of weak and subjective arguments that they are not needed. It is
                    > > precisely in the light of such concerns that I was hoping that
                    > > comments warrant a mention!
                    >
                    > I used to agree what comments would be useful. But since I started
                    > using JSON, I never discovered what that use was. I have seen them
                    > used very badly. I have asked several times what the value is that
                    > requires that support be added to every implementation. I am still
                    > listening.

                    You're not convinced that saving developers' time is valuable?

                    OK, then, how about compatibility? There are lots of JSON implementations
                    out there already, and I'm sure most of them already support comments, my
                    own included. Interoperability between those and new ones would be reduced
                    by eliminating comments from the spec now. The cat is already out of the
                    bag.

                  • jemptymethod
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@c...> wrote:

                      > JSON requires that keys be quoted because of an error in the
                      > ECMAScript spec that disallows the use of unquoted reserved words as
                      > keys. The list of reserved words is surprisingly long and difficult to
                      > remember. The best practice is to always quote keys.

                      I don't think this is "an error in the ... spec" .... I can think of
                      at least one other language that disallows unquoted reserved words as
                      keys (Lua), and there are others I'm certain