Re: [json] Looking for help with syntax error

  • Reaus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11 12:21 PM
      I checked the QA servers and they both have the latest patches.

      I double checked the date / version # on jscript.dll and I have the latest version of that as well.

      Tim

      (hopefully, this isn't a double post. I tried the "reply" button from the group, but my replies didn't seem to be making it to the group)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11 1:43 PM
        Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one server, and not  on the other?

        It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server.  I could be wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.

        Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a fix!  :)

        Tim

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11 2:05 PM
          I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
          suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

          Andrew Faulds (AJF)
          http://ajf.me/

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11 2:21 PM
            ugg.. the dreaded punt!  lol

            I've searched StackOverflow, but I'll post the question over there too.

            If anyone happens across this thread though and has any other ideas, please, feel free to offer them up, either here or via email.

            Thanks for all your suggestions.

            Tim

            ________________________________
            I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
            suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

            On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <reaus@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
            > server, and not on the other?
            >
            > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
            > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
            > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
            > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
            > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
            >
            > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
            > fix! :)
            >
            > Tim
            >
            > ________________________________

            Andrew Faulds (AJF)
            http://ajf.me/

          • Mark Ingalls
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11 2:57 PM
              Just a stab in the dark here, but could the response from the QA server be putting your browser into IE 7 mode?

              http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4715373/json-not-defined-internet-explorer-8

              On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <mailto:Reaus%40yahoo.com> <reaus@... <mailto:reaus%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
              > server, and not on the other?
              >
              > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
              > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
              > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
              > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
              > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
              >
              > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
              > fix! :)
              >
              > Tim
              >
              > ________________________________

              Andrew Faulds (AJF)
              http://ajf.me/

            • Reaus@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11 3:41 PM
                I didn't think so, but I went ahead and put the

                tag into my master page and tested it. I did a view source first and verified that the meta tag was there, but I get the same 2 js syntax errors.

                So frustrating!

                Thanks for the tip though!

                ________________________________
                Just a stab in the dark here, but could the response from the QA server be putting your browser into IE 7 mode?

                http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4715373/json-not-defined-internet-explorer-8

                I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
                suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

                On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <mailto:Reaus%40yahoo.com> <reaus@... <mailto:reaus%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
                > server, and not on the other?
                >
                > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
                > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
                > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
                > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
                > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
                >
                > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
                > fix! :)
                >
                > Tim
                >
                > ________________________________

                Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                http://ajf.me/

              • Andrew Faulds
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11 3:52 PM
                  You might want to JSLint your code, looks like there's some missing
                  semicolons in there, and JSLint might spot what we haven't.

                  Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                  http://ajf.me/

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12 8:57 AM
                    That was probably just a type when I copied it to the group.

                    I did finally figure out what the problem was. It was basically an id10t error. I knew it was going to turn out to be something incredibly stupid that I was overlooking.

                    The IIS directory structure is different locally than on the actual web servers. Locally, our url is http://localhost/AltairWeb.Net/%c2%a0%c2%a0 But on the web servers it would be http://qa.altair.org/%c2%a0 So the actual AltairWeb.Net folder is replaced by qa.altair.org.  That's why when I hit the codebehind page directly, it returned records, but the javascript/json call threw an error... the json call was actually throwing a page not found error on the http_request.responseText statement. It being called a syntax error threw me and had me thinking that structurally, it was written incorrectly.

                    once I changed:

                    url ="/AltairWeb.NET/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE="+sType +"&FILTER="+lstrFilter

                    url ="/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE="+sType +"&FILTER="+lstrFilter

                    It began working perfectly on the QA servers.

                    I do thank everyone here for all their help and suggestions.

                    This is the first time I've attempted to use json, but I really like it and it won't be the last time. This group is a great resource and I'll definitely be lurking and trying to learn what I can about json.

                    Thanks again!

                    Tim

                    ________________________________
                    You might want to JSLint your code, looks like there's some missing
                    semicolons in there, and JSLint might spot what we haven't.

                    On 11 July 2012 23:41, Reaus@... <reaus@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I didn't think so, but I went ahead and put the

                    > tag into my master page and tested it. I did a view source first and
                    > verified that the meta tag was there, but I get the same 2 js syntax errors.
                    >
                    > So frustrating!
                    >
                    > Thanks for the tip though!

                    Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                    http://ajf.me/