Looking for help with syntax error

  • Reaus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
      I'm trying to implement a JSON call to simulate AJAX on a certain page where an AJAX panel isn't a viable option.

      I want call my .aspx page when a State is selected from a drop down and populate the Counties drop down.

      in my State dropdown, I have this call:

      onchange="jsonDropDownLoader('COUNTIES', this, 'Content2_DDLCounties')"

      That call is on the page and the code is here:

      function jsonDropDownLoader(sType, oParent, oChild) {
          var lstrChild = document.getElementById(oChild);
          var lstrFilter = ""

          if (oParent.value > "") {
              lstrFilter = oParent.value
          }

          lstrChild.options.length = 0;
          if (oParent.value > "") {
              var JSONobject = {};
              var http_request = new XMLHttpRequest();
              url = "/AltairWeb.NET/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE=" + sType + "&FILTER=" + lstrFilter
              http_request.open("GET", url, false);
              http_request.onreadystatechange = function () {
                  var done = 4, ok = 200;
                  if (http_request.readyState == done && http_request.status == ok) {
                      JSONobject = JSON.parse(http_request.responseText);
                  }
              };
              http_request.send(null);
              var JSONarray = eval('(' + http_request.responseText + ')').data
              for (var i = 0; i < JSONarray.length; ++i) {
                  var optn = document.createElement("OPTION");
                  optn.text = JSONarray[i].text;
                  optn.value = JSONarray[i].value;
                  lstrChild.options.add(optn);

      It returns a string which I then use to populate the County drop down.

      I'm getting data back, but it's not rendering on your QA server. Using the developer tools with IE8, I can see that I have a error on this line:

      JSONobject = JSON.parse(http_request.responseText);
      it says that JSON is not declared.

      It says I also have a syntax error on this line:

      var JSONarray = eval('(' + http_request.responseText + ')').data

      This works perfectly on my development box. However, my development box has WinXP / IIS 5 on it, whereas, our QA server is a Win2008 server with IIS7.5.  We have new development boxes coming, but until then, I'm stuck with the XP machine.

      Since it works locally, it seems like it must be a security issue with either Windows or IIS on the QA server, possibly with the http_request call, but I can't find anything via google that has helped me figure this out.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks in advance!
      Tim

    • Andrew Faulds
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
        Hey Tim,

        IE8 doesn't have built-in JSON support, since it doesn't support ES5. You
        should include Douglas's json2.js (
        https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js) in your page - it will create
        the JSON object for older browsers that lack it, but newer ones can use
        their native support.

        Hope I can help.

        Andrew Faulds (AJF)
        http://ajf.me/

      • Brian Tompkins
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
          Actually IE8 does, it is IE7 that doesn’t. But make sure you have the "ECMAScript, fifth edition" patch to be fully compliant

          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976662

          Brian

          On 11 July 2012 19:07, Reaus@...<mailto:Reaus%40yahoo.com> <reaus@...<mailto:reaus%40yahoo.com>> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm trying to implement a JSON call to simulate AJAX on a certain page
          > where an AJAX panel isn't a viable option.
          >
          > I want call my .aspx page when a State is selected from a drop down and
          > populate the Counties drop down.
          >
          > in my State dropdown, I have this call:
          >
          > onchange="jsonDropDownLoader('COUNTIES', this, 'Content2_DDLCounties')"
          >
          > That call is on the page and the code is here:
          >
          > function jsonDropDownLoader(sType, oParent, oChild) {
          > var lstrChild = document.getElementById(oChild);
          > var lstrFilter = ""
          >
          > if (oParent.value > "") {
          > lstrFilter = oParent.value
          > }
          >
          > lstrChild.options.length = 0;
          > if (oParent.value > "") {
          > var JSONobject = {};
          > var http_request = new XMLHttpRequest();
          > url = "/AltairWeb.NET/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE=" + sType +
          > "&FILTER=" + lstrFilter
          > http_request.open("GET", url, false);
          > http_request.onreadystatechange = function () {
          > var done = 4, ok = 200;
          > if (http_request.readyState == done && http_request.status ==
          > ok) {
          > JSONobject = JSON.parse(http_request.responseText);
          > }
          > };
          > http_request.send(null);
          > var JSONarray = eval('(' + http_request.responseText + ')').data
          > for (var i = 0; i < JSONarray.length; ++i) {
          > var optn = document.createElement("OPTION");
          > optn.text = JSONarray[i].text;
          > optn.value = JSONarray[i].value;
          > lstrChild.options.add(optn);
          > }
          > }
          > }
          >
          > It returns a string which I then use to populate the County drop down.
          >
          > I'm getting data back, but it's not rendering on your QA server. Using the
          > developer tools with IE8, I can see that I have a error on this line:
          >
          > JSONobject = JSON.parse(http_request.responseText);
          > it says that JSON is not declared.
          >
          > It says I also have a syntax error on this line:
          >
          > var JSONarray = eval('(' + http_request.responseText + ')').data
          >
          > This works perfectly on my development box. However, my development box
          > has WinXP / IIS 5 on it, whereas, our QA server is a Win2008 server with
          > IIS7.5. We have new development boxes coming, but until then, I'm stuck
          > with the XP machine.
          >
          > Since it works locally, it seems like it must be a security issue with
          > either Windows or IIS on the QA server, possibly with the http_request
          > call, but I can't find anything via google that has helped me figure this
          > out.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          > Tim

          Andrew Faulds (AJF)
          http://ajf.me/

          ________________________________
          This communication contains information of International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF) and/or its affiliates that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended only for the addressee. Any copying, dissemination or other use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your system.

        • Jos de Jong
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
            To figure out what is going wrong, just do some debugging of your
            application - nothing special JSON related...

            - inspect the contents of http_request.responseText, to verify if this is
            indeed valid JSON data. You can put a debug point (if your browser supports
            that), or output the response via console.log(http_request.responseText).
            - test if your browser supports JSON, just do some tests in your browsers
            console, see if JSON.parse('{"J":5,"0":"N"}') works for example

          • Reaus@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
              I checked the QA servers and they both have the latest patches.

              I double checked the date / version # on jscript.dll and I have the latest version of that as well.

              Tim

              (hopefully, this isn't a double post. I tried the "reply" button from the group, but my replies didn't seem to be making it to the group)

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > I'm getting data back, but it's not rendering on your QA server. Using the
              > developer tools with IE8, I can see that I have a error on this line:
              >
              > JSONobject = JSON.parse(http_request.responseText);
              > it says that JSON is not declared.
              >
              > It says I also have a syntax error on this line:
              >
              > var JSONarray = eval('(' + http_request.responseText + ')').data
              >
              > This works perfectly on my development box. However, my development box
              > has WinXP / IIS 5 on it, whereas, our QA server is a Win2008 server with
              > IIS7.5. We have new development boxes coming, but until then, I'm stuck
              > with the XP machine.
              >
              > Since it works locally, it seems like it must be a security issue with
              > either Windows or IIS on the QA server, possibly with the http_request
              > call, but I can't find anything via google that has helped me figure this

              Andrew Faulds (AJF)
              http://ajf.me/

            • Reaus@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one server, and not  on the other?

                It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server.  I could be wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.

                Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a fix!  :)

                Tim

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                  I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
                  suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

                  Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                  http://ajf.me/

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                    ugg.. the dreaded punt!  lol

                    I've searched StackOverflow, but I'll post the question over there too.

                    If anyone happens across this thread though and has any other ideas, please, feel free to offer them up, either here or via email.

                    Thanks for all your suggestions.

                    Tim

                    ________________________________
                    I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
                    suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

                    On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <reaus@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
                    > server, and not on the other?
                    >
                    > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
                    > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
                    > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
                    > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
                    > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
                    >
                    > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
                    > fix! :)
                    >
                    > Tim
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                    Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                    http://ajf.me/

                  • Mark Ingalls
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                      Just a stab in the dark here, but could the response from the QA server be putting your browser into IE 7 mode?

                      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4715373/json-not-defined-internet-explorer-8

                      On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <mailto:Reaus%40yahoo.com> <reaus@... <mailto:reaus%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
                      > server, and not on the other?
                      >
                      > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
                      > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
                      > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
                      > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
                      > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
                      >
                      > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
                      > fix! :)
                      >
                      > Tim
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                      http://ajf.me/

                    • Reaus@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                        I didn't think so, but I went ahead and put the

                        tag into my master page and tested it. I did a view source first and verified that the meta tag was there, but I get the same 2 js syntax errors.

                        So frustrating!

                        Thanks for the tip though!

                        ________________________________
                        Just a stab in the dark here, but could the response from the QA server be putting your browser into IE 7 mode?

                        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4715373/json-not-defined-internet-explorer-8

                        I don't think this is really a JSON issue, more a browser issue, so I'd
                        suggest going to StackOverflow instead.

                        On 11 July 2012 21:43, Reaus@... <mailto:Reaus%40yahoo.com> <reaus@... <mailto:reaus%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Well.. that makes sense. But then why would it work when sitting on one
                        > server, and not on the other?
                        >
                        > It's the same code (I've double and triple checked), and the same browser
                        > (i'm using IE8 from my laptop to point to both the dev server and the QA
                        > server), so my logical (at least in my mind) assumption was that it had to
                        > be some sort security setting on the Windows 2008 server. I could be
                        > wrong, but that was just what it seemed like to me.
                        >
                        > Believe me, I would glad to be wrong about this if I can figure out a
                        > fix! :)
                        >
                        > Tim
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                        Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                        http://ajf.me/

                      • Andrew Faulds
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 11, 2012
                          You might want to JSLint your code, looks like there's some missing
                          semicolons in there, and JSLint might spot what we haven't.

                          Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                          http://ajf.me/

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 12, 2012
                            That was probably just a type when I copied it to the group.

                            I did finally figure out what the problem was. It was basically an id10t error. I knew it was going to turn out to be something incredibly stupid that I was overlooking.

                            The IIS directory structure is different locally than on the actual web servers. Locally, our url is http://localhost/AltairWeb.Net/%c2%a0%c2%a0 But on the web servers it would be http://qa.altair.org/%c2%a0 So the actual AltairWeb.Net folder is replaced by qa.altair.org.  That's why when I hit the codebehind page directly, it returned records, but the javascript/json call threw an error... the json call was actually throwing a page not found error on the http_request.responseText statement. It being called a syntax error threw me and had me thinking that structurally, it was written incorrectly.

                            once I changed:

                            url ="/AltairWeb.NET/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE="+sType +"&FILTER="+lstrFilter

                            url ="/RS/jsonDropDownLoader.aspx?TYPE="+sType +"&FILTER="+lstrFilter

                            It began working perfectly on the QA servers.

                            I do thank everyone here for all their help and suggestions.

                            This is the first time I've attempted to use json, but I really like it and it won't be the last time. This group is a great resource and I'll definitely be lurking and trying to learn what I can about json.

                            Thanks again!

                            Tim

                            ________________________________
                            You might want to JSLint your code, looks like there's some missing
                            semicolons in there, and JSLint might spot what we haven't.

                            On 11 July 2012 23:41, Reaus@... <reaus@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > I didn't think so, but I went ahead and put the

                            > tag into my master page and tested it. I did a view source first and
                            > verified that the meta tag was there, but I get the same 2 js syntax errors.
                            >
                            > So frustrating!
                            >
                            > Thanks for the tip though!

                            Andrew Faulds (AJF)
                            http://ajf.me/