Re: [json] Re: JSON Propositions

  • Jos de Jong
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 11, 2012
      I think we are mixing up two things:

      - *Using JSON for data serialization/deserialization*. That is what JSON is
      meant for. Whitespaces and comments are irrelevant in this case. If you
      want to add comments, you should put them in the data itself in a regular
      field like "$comment" or "_comment".
      -* Using JSON for storing configuration files*. This is *not* what JSON is
      meant for. For configuration files, comments and whitespaces are important
      and very helpful. I personally don't think JSON is that handy for storing
      configuration: you have to enter (nested) accolades and comma's all the
      time, which is not that human friendly. It is really easy to screw up the *
      whole* configuration file by forgetting an accolade, double-quote, or comma
      somewhere... Better use an existing standard like YAML or something else.
      This is much better readable and editable for humans. As these standards
      already exist and are widely used/supported, I don't really see the added
      value of EON.

      Jos

      On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM, douglascrockford <douglas@...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:
      > >> Comments are perhaps the single one thing I really wish JSON had,
      > >> omission of which was IMO a grave mistake for any textual format.
      > >

      > > I'll say this one more time: If you want comments, then pipe JSMin in
      > front of your JSON parser. You don't need a new standard.
      >
      > What a great idea -- instead of having comments in where they belong,
      > format spec, add a non-standard pre-processor. I really miss C coding.
      >
      > I am not advocate of a new format, but I am highly critical of this
      > one big flaw in JSON spec.
      >
      > But that's that, it's not in the spec, and not much can be done about it.
      >
      > -+ Tatu +-

    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16, 2012
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"