Re: JSON Propositions

  • Ben Atkin
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2012
      The author didn't specify what keys could have their quotes omitted. If I were to design that feature I would probably limit it to a common subset of supported identifiers across multiple languages. So "$ref" would have to be quoted but "word_2341Caps" wouldn't.

      At any rate, if you're going to implement it, this is an important detail to add, whether the answer is something super simple or anything supported by the ECMA-262 standard.

      Ben

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:

      > johnnys scripsit:
      >
      > > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
      > > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
      > > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
      > > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.
      >
      > You don't say so, but your Proposition II (optional quotes on keys)
      > breaks EcmaScript 3 compatibility, because all reserved words in that
      > standard are ineligible as keys. Thus {name: "Steve Student", class:
      > "Freshman"} is invalid. (This is fixed in EcmaScript 5.)
      >
      > --
      > John Cowan cowan@... http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
      > Is it not written, "That which is written, is written"?

    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16, 2012
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"