RE: [json] Re: Comments

  • Atif Aziz
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2006
      > I think the real crux...

      As I said, I have a sneaking hunch that the real issue stems from tying
      JSON to YAML. With the comments debate generating some traffic, I feel
      less daring at this point to open up the disappearing of single-quoted
      strings gone as well as unquoted member names (at least on the decoding
      end). I am hoping Douglas will provide some insight so everyone can
      build a better understanding of the decisions that lead to several
      cutbacks in the specs. I think focusing the discussion too much on
      comments is really just avoiding a more fundamental issue. Does anyone
      agree or am I just rambling here?

      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring