Re: JSON Propositions

  • Ben Atkin
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2012
      Outside of special interpretation of strings, there's only one change I can think of that JSON could make that many existing parsers would be forward compatible with, and that is ordering of pairs within a JSON object. The format is so simple, that it doesn't lend itself to clever hacks. I really like this aspect of JSON.

      Ben

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Borislav Iordanov
      > <borislav.iordanov@...> wrote:
      > > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Andrew Faulds <ajfweb@...> wrote:
      > >> I don't think this is a good idea. One of the best things, if not the best,
      > >> about JSON is the lack of a version number. The standard is frozen and will
      > >> never change, and because of that there is only one thing called JSON, and
      > >> everything that supports "JSON" today will support it tommorow, too.
      > >
      > > That's a valid argument, but is it such a big deal given that anything
      > > in software evolves and it's just natural to deal with versions?
      >
      > For some perspective on this, one could consider fate of XML 1.1,
      > which actually does not have this issue -- versioning was fully
      > defined to allow such upgrade.
      > XML 1.1 has some other compatibility issues, but most importantly it
      > has not really been used extensively, and seems like a failure.
      >
      > So another way to ask this is: would anyone bother using a modified
      > version of (textual) JSON externally?
      >
      > -+ Tatu +-

    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16 5:32 AM
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"