Re: JSON Propositions

  • Ben Atkin
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2012
      The standard is respected in most places. Try adding comments and then using a common JSON parser (like the one in Firefox or Chrome) and you'll see an error. Because of that, it's foolish to output JSON that doesn't conform to the spec.

      I'm not especially interested in the three changes in the original thread. What I do find interesting is comment support. JSON is so nice and simple that it's often being used for configuration and not just serialization. In many cases, comments are more useful than problematic in configuration files. For this reason I'm working on making a standard format that is simply JSON+comments, and I'm calling it Eon (EcmaScript Object Notation). I think if you're going to try to come up with your own JSON-like format, you should come up with a file extension and content-type that doesn't contain "json". Some HTTP client libraries will try to parse everything that has the substring "json" in its content type, and it's best not to break those, even though they should arguably be checking for word boundaries.

      Here's my eon project: https://github.com/benatkin/eon

      Ben

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Borislav Iordanov <borislav.iordanov@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Andrew Faulds <ajfweb@...> wrote:
      > > I don't think this is a good idea. One of the best things, if not the best,
      > > about JSON is the lack of a version number. The standard is frozen and will
      > > never change, and because of that there is only one thing called JSON, and
      > > everything that supports "JSON" today will support it tommorow, too.
      >
      > That's a valid argument, but is it such a big deal given that anything
      > in software evolves and it's just natural to deal with versions?
      >
      > His proposition 1 and 2 are something I'm sure many would be happy
      > with. One of the main virtues of JSON, to be easier to read and write
      > by humans, is hurt by quotes requirement in names and the inability to
      > use single quotes for strings. And there are parsers already that
      > support those so the "standard" is often not strictly respected
      > anyway.
      >
      > > Also, you haven't added omitting quotes round key names, and you've
      > > introduced features JavaScript doesn't have, so I dislike it for that
      > > reason anyway.
      > >
      > > On 10 July 2012 20:32, johnnys <marler8997@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
      > >> http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
      > >> I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
      > >> propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

      > > --
      > > Andrew Faulds (AJF)
      > > http://ajf.me/

      > http://www.kobrix.com, http://kobrix.blogspot.com,
      > http://sharegov.blogspot.com, http://ilovefencing.com
      >
      > "Damn! The world is big!"
      >
      > -- Heleni Daly

    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16, 2012
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"