Re: [json] JSON Propositions

  • Jos de Jong
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2012
      Your propositions looks very clear. However, I think it is a bad idea to
      change JSON. JSON definitely has weak points (such as no predefined
      structure for a table), but changing the standard will break everything
      there is, which is far worse.

      your first and second proposition are just about making it more flexible to
      *generate* JSON, at the cost of making *parsing* more complex and thus
      slower. I don't think there really is a problem with having to use double
      quotes anyway, and thus nothing to solve here. A third party JSON parser
      may allow unquoted or single quoted keys, and internally change them to
      double quotes, things like that.

      You are right with your third proposition about storing tables more
      efficiently, however, I would rather choose to define a table standard on
      top of JSON instead of adjusting JSON itself. (see for example the Google's
      DataTable <https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/reference>format).

      On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM, johnnys <marler8997@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
      > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
      > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
      > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16, 2012
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"