Re: [json] JSON Propositions

  • Borislav Iordanov
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2012
      On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Andrew Faulds <ajfweb@...> wrote:
      > I don't think this is a good idea. One of the best things, if not the best,
      > about JSON is the lack of a version number. The standard is frozen and will
      > never change, and because of that there is only one thing called JSON, and
      > everything that supports "JSON" today will support it tommorow, too.

      That's a valid argument, but is it such a big deal given that anything
      in software evolves and it's just natural to deal with versions?

      His proposition 1 and 2 are something I'm sure many would be happy
      with. One of the main virtues of JSON, to be easier to read and write
      by humans, is hurt by quotes requirement in names and the inability to
      use single quotes for strings. And there are parsers already that
      support those so the "standard" is often not strictly respected
      anyway.

      > Also, you haven't added omitting quotes round key names, and you've
      > introduced features JavaScript doesn't have, so I dislike it for that
      > reason anyway.
      >
      > On 10 July 2012 20:32, johnnys <marler8997@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
      >> http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
      >> I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
      >> propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

      > Andrew Faulds (AJF)
      > http://ajf.me/

      http://www.kobrix.com, http://kobrix.blogspot.com,
      http://sharegov.blogspot.com, http://ilovefencing.com

      "Damn! The world is big!"

      -- Heleni Daly
    • Jonas Tärnström
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 16, 2012
        The beauty and usefulness of JSON is in my opinion more of what they left
        out than what they took in.
        Any attempts to extend it is to make it less useful.

        //JT

        2012/7/10 johnnys <marler8997@...>

        > **
        >

        > I've published a web page with some propositions to modify JSON at
        > http://json.marler.info <http://json.marler.info>
        > I wanted to post this so I could see what people think of these
        > propositions. Any comments/suggestions/criticism are welcome.

        Jonas T�rnstr�m
        Product Manager
        � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
        � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"