Re: [json] Re: Comments

  • f3l
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2006
      > > development mode) that tell me what Java structure was being
      > encoded. So,
      > > for example, I might output "/* java.util.HashMap */" in my JSON
      > encoding
      > > before I render the corresponding JSON object.
      >
      > Why would you do that? What expectation do you have of the receiver?
      > Why waste the bandwidth? What, specifically, is the value?

      debug information is *IN*valuable , for us weak-minded developers that cant
      guess whats being passed back and forth,
      i use html comments in lots of sections of my web page, even if noone can
      read them and they are a waste of bandwdith (but then again, noone really
      visits my web site, so that ultimately irrelevant). In an ideal, and
      percfect world, everyone would have something like this:

      if(DEBUGMODE && NOTINPRODUCTION){
      echo('/*this is that*/');
      }

      so, when u get into production, hopefuly, youll turn off "DEBUGMODE", and
      none of your precious bandwidth will be lost due to those expensive, and
      cluttering verbose comments.

      in reality, ppl will leave those comments, even in production, and some will
      even leave stuff like this:

      { a:1,b:2,c:/*this is that * , d:3}

      so, comments are not indispensable, but would be, IMHO *REALLY* useful, so i
      say lets keep them!

      --
      //f3l
      http://www.geocities.com/kyoosho/

    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring