Re: [json] Re: Comments

  • Dave Balmer
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2006
      I'll jump in here and say that even a draconian syntax like XML
      (arguably the most used data stream format on the planet) supports
      comments.

      The whole point of something like comments is that it's an open-ended
      proposition. Anyone designing a computer language (or data construct)
      who allows comments is essentially saying "here you are, do with them
      as you will, but observe these rules if you want your comments to not
      break the parser".

      I have no immediate plans to use comments in my JSON, but you never
      know. I have put them in my XML documents, especially during testing
      or creating example bits of data for others to play with.

      Considering that the eval() method currently supports at least /* */
      comments, and the fact that the safe version now uses a filter regex
      on top of eval(), I'd sure like to understand why even edge cases
      like sample files wouldn't warrant an extra handful of characters in
      the code.

      Thanks,
      Dave

      --
      "You like Chinese food." -- Actual fortune cookie I received once.
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring