c++ library benchmark

  • jonathan wallace
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2011
      Hello,
      I was sent a message on sourceforge a while ago about someone doing a benchmark test of the most popular c++ json libraries.

      He compared json_spirit (Boost), CAJUN, and libjson.  He attempted to include jsoncpp in his tests, but said he couldn't get it to compile.

      I was sent the results this weekend: http://lijoblogs.blogspot.com/2011/11/comparison-and-benchmark-of-c-json.html

      I was surprised that json_spirit performed so poorly considering it's part of Boost.  CAJUN ran more than five times faster than it and libjson ran almost FIVE HUNDRED times faster than it.

      Jon

    • Rob Meijer
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2011
        This benchmark seems to test the wrong thing. A library that is lazy in
        parsing and pre-serializes on each update would likely perform poorly in
        real operation but would outperform all others according to this benchmark.
        On Nov 22, 2011 4:09 PM, "jonathan wallace" <ninja9578@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello,
        > I was sent a message on sourceforge a while ago about someone doing a
        > benchmark test of the most popular c++ json libraries.
        >
        > He compared json_spirit (Boost), CAJUN, and libjson. He attempted to
        > include jsoncpp in his tests, but said he couldn't get it to compile.
        >
        > I was sent the results this weekend:
        > http://lijoblogs.blogspot.com/2011/11/comparison-and-benchmark-of-c-json.html
        >
        > I was surprised that json_spirit performed so poorly considering it's part
        > of Boost. CAJUN ran more than five times faster than it and libjson ran
        > almost FIVE HUNDRED times faster than it.
        >
        > Jon

      • jonathan wallace
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
          Oops, I mentioned that to the benchmarker, I thought he altered the benchmark.  You can see the benchmark to libjson fully parsing in the comment of the thread he posted on my sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/forums/forum/1119661/topic/4756047