rapidjson 0.1 initial release

  • MiloYip
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
      Dear all,

      Recently I released an open-source (MIT license) project, rapidjson, a C++ JSON parser/generator with both SAX/DOM-style API.

      http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/

      It is inspired by rapidxml, for its lightweight (rapidjson's SAX API only needs few hundred lines of code), and high performance.

      In my performance benchmark

      http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/wiki/Performance

      the particular test case shows that rapidjson is faster than YAJL and JsonCpp, and the parsing speed is in the order of magnitude of strlen().

      I am actually new to JSON, and I did not heavily use of it in my projects. I really want to gather opinions. I have some immediate questions:

      1. Is there any JSON dataset suitable for performance comparison?
      2. Which JSON parsrs/generators are fast?
      3. I tried to make rapidjson RFC4327 full-compliance. I have tested it with jsonchecker's test suite. Is there any other test suites for proving a parser's correctness?
      4. Apart from RFC4627, is there any other add-on features which are important to support?

      Besides, I will try to provide more documentation (user guide, design, memory benchmarks, etc.) soon.

      Thank you for your attention.

      Best regards,

      Milo Yip.
    • rkalla123
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
        Milo,

        The benchmark numbers rapidjson is posting look fantastic. Nice job!

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "MiloYip" <miloyip@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > Recently I released an open-source (MIT license) project, rapidjson, a C++ JSON parser/generator with both SAX/DOM-style API.
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/
        >
        > It is inspired by rapidxml, for its lightweight (rapidjson's SAX API only needs few hundred lines of code), and high performance.
        >
        > In my performance benchmark
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/wiki/Performance
        >
        > the particular test case shows that rapidjson is faster than YAJL and JsonCpp, and the parsing speed is in the order of magnitude of strlen().
        >
        > I am actually new to JSON, and I did not heavily use of it in my projects. I really want to gather opinions. I have some immediate questions:
        >
        > 1. Is there any JSON dataset suitable for performance comparison?
        > 2. Which JSON parsrs/generators are fast?
        > 3. I tried to make rapidjson RFC4327 full-compliance. I have tested it with jsonchecker's test suite. Is there any other test suites for proving a parser's correctness?
        > 4. Apart from RFC4627, is there any other add-on features which are important to support?
        >
        > Besides, I will try to provide more documentation (user guide, design, memory benchmarks, etc.) soon.
        >
        > Thank you for your attention.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Milo Yip.

      • Jonas Tärnström
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2011
          Hi
          My project UltraJSON (BSD license) could serve as the JSON encoder/decoder
          back-end for this if you're going for absolute performance. AFAIK there
          isn't anything faster out there.

          Have look at https://github.com/esnme/ultrajson

          The interface for encoder and decoder are structs of function pointers
          which can be bound to any language. The current integration is how ever
          made in CPython

          But then again, maybe we're in competition :)

          Cheers
          //JT

          2011/11/19 MiloYip <miloyip@...>

          > **
          >

          > Dear all,
          >
          > Recently I released an open-source (MIT license) project, rapidjson, a C++
          > JSON parser/generator with both SAX/DOM-style API.
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/
          >
          > It is inspired by rapidxml, for its lightweight (rapidjson's SAX API only
          > needs few hundred lines of code), and high performance.
          >
          > In my performance benchmark
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/rapidjson/wiki/Performance
          >
          > the particular test case shows that rapidjson is faster than YAJL and
          > JsonCpp, and the parsing speed is in the order of magnitude of strlen().
          >
          > I am actually new to JSON, and I did not heavily use of it in my projects.
          > I really want to gather opinions. I have some immediate questions:
          >
          > 1. Is there any JSON dataset suitable for performance comparison?
          > 2. Which JSON parsrs/generators are fast?
          > 3. I tried to make rapidjson RFC4327 full-compliance. I have tested it
          > with jsonchecker's test suite. Is there any other test suites for proving a
          > parser's correctness?
          > 4. Apart from RFC4627, is there any other add-on features which are
          > important to support?
          >
          > Besides, I will try to provide more documentation (user guide, design,
          > memory benchmarks, etc.) soon.
          >
          > Thank you for your attention.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Milo Yip.

          Jonas T�rnstr�m
          Product Manager
          � e-mail: jonas.tarnstrom@...
          � skype: full name "Jonas T�rnstr�m"
          � phone: +46 (0)734 231 552

          ESN Social Software AB
          www.esn.me

        • Milo Yip
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2011
            Hi,

            Your project looks interesting, especially the benchmark method can
            help understand the performance in more details.

            I will try to put your parser and the testing methodology in to my
            test suite. I think these "competitions" can be help improving
            projects in the community in the good way.

            By the way, rapidjson is more focus on using C++ and some techniques
            to boost the performance. I have no plan to develop bindings for it,
            yet.

            Cheers

            --
            Milo Yip