Json tool for the shell

  • keenerd
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2011
      I noticed there was a small gap on json.org - there are no libraries
      intended for shell script processing. So I wrote one.

      http://kmkeen.com/jshon/

      Jshon provides a lightweight and simple means to access, modify,
      create and introspect json structures from a *nix shell. My favorite
      use so far was a guy who uses Jshon on his router (not enough space to
      install a big langauge) and talks to his electronic thermostat with
      it. Jshon is still relatively young, the only distro using and
      packaging it is Arch Linux.

      While based on Jansson, I feel it counts as an original work because
      it presents an entirely new way of editing and manipulating json. A
      traditional library converts json into native structures (and back)
      but Bash/Zsh/etc can not support such complex data structures. So
      Jshon uses a novel stack-based interface that is very simple for
      common cases.

      It is my hope that Jshon is considered sufficiently useful to be
      included on json.org.

      -Kyle Keen
      http://kmkeen.com
    • Stephan Beal
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2011
        On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM, keenerd <keenerd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >
        > noticed there was a small gap on json.org - there are no libraries
        > intended for shell script processing. So I wrote one.
        >
        > http://kmkeen.com/jshon/
        >
        > Jshon provides a lightweight and simple means to access, modify,
        > create and introspect json structures from a *nix shell.

        Somewhat related, but not the same thing:

        http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/repos/cson/index.cgi/wiki?name=select-to-json

        it's for running queries from sqlite3 or mysql dbs and getting the results
        as json to stdout.

        --
        ----- stephan beal
        http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

      • Stephan Beal
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2011
          On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Stephan Beal <sgbeal@...>wrote:

          > http://kmkeen.com/jshon/
          >>
          >> http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/repos/cson/index.cgi/wiki?name=select-to-json

          After a closer look at the first one, these two could be used together -
          select-to-json feeding jshon.