Re: Comments

    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2006
      > I don't want to fight too hard on this subject and I hope my intentions
      > are not being misunderstood. It's hard to encourage decoders to
      > recognize and ignore comments when a future implementation will base
      > itself on the contents of what's written presently at
      > http://www.json.org Otherwise it's JSON with comments, but not pure and
      > legal JSON and who wants two camps there? In most cases, however, a new
      > implementation will certainly start from one of the now many JSON
      > bindings than go from scratch. Chances are then that most of them will
      > include support for comments (at least on the parsing end). It worries
      > me when I read things on the net along the lines of, "Yeah, some old
      > JSON parsers support C-style comments."

      I would like to understand your intentions. Where commentary is
      important, it can be encoded directly in JSON, where the outermost
      object resembles a COBOL IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

      Why specifically do you feel the need for C-style comments?
    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring