Re: [json] Re: Helpless beginner

  • Stephan Beal
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2011
      On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, jonerlandmadsen <
      jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your kind answer, but it does not address my problem: How to
      > get the external json array into a text string (that can then be parsed).

      You already have it: the "contact" string is the array, as a JSON-formatted
      string.

      --
      ----- stephan beal
      http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

    • Connie Clark
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2011
        Here are several patterns I often use which may help you

        *If the list data is available at the time your server is
        returning the rest of the page content
        *
        Pattern.1:

        Have the server emit a script tag that pulls in
        your javascript code for doing something with the list,
        say a function called handleMyList.

        Have the server then emit (within script tags)
        handleMyList( [ item1, item2, item2 ] );

        Pattern.2:

        Have the server emit (within script tags)
        var listArr = [ item1, item2, item3 ];

        Then have the server emit a script tag that
        pulls in your javascript code for doing something
        with listArr.

        *If you need to request the list after the user has
        done other selections:*

        This is quite similar to Pattern.1, but you
        would use an AJAX style request to get the
        content back.

        *OR, to do it "by hand"*

        On your HTML page
        define an iframe IFR
        define a form F
        with action: serverUrl
        target: IFR
        and hidden fields for any parameters
        you need to pass

        When the user makes their selection
        F.parm1.value = "..."
        F.submit();

        Have the server return (within script tags)
        parent.top.handleMyList( [ item1, item2, item3 ]);

        Connie

      • jon.erland.madsen@jiffymade.no
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2011
          Thank you so very much!

          I got help and will use the following code (my script is client side):

          function createXMLHttpRequest()
          {
          try { return new XMLHttpRequest(); } catch(e) {}
          try { return new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP"); } catch (e) {}
          return null;
          }

          var url = "http://www.finansportalen.no/services/sph/produkt/list/";
          var xhReq = createXMLHttpRequest();
          xhReq.open("GET", url, false);
          xhReq.send(null);

          var sphdata = eval(xhReq.responseText);

          (I would have prefered, however, to have the object declared by the server
          and posted as a .js file i could simply include, thus enabling me to
          access it directly. But the above will do.)

          Thanks again!

          jon.erland.madsen@...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > I am trying to get an answer to what must be JSON-question number two,
          > but
          > apparently, the answer to my question is too obvious to be included in
          > the
          > Q&As I've found.
          >
          > I will use an external JSON-array in my javascript. It originates from
          > our
          > own server, so there are no security concerns.
          >
          > The address is be for instance:
          >
          > http://www.mysite.no/services/product/list/
          >
          > According to Wikipedia, I can make an object out of it, using "eval".
          > The
          > example given is:
          >

          > var p = eval("(" + contact + ")");
          >

          > ..where 'contact' is the json array contained in a text object.
          >
          > But there must be a step between, that is not explained. The
          > aforementioned external json array has no name. It just starts with a
          > paranthesis [
          >
          > I would thus have to convert it into a string first. How do I do that
          > (javascript does not allow you to read external files into a string, as
          > for
          > instance php does).
          >
          > Can I convert a json array directly using the url as an argument in
          > eval()
          > (probably not)?
          >
          > I have programmed for 20 years (!) but never used JSON. I feel like a
          > complete fool. I've searched the internet two hours for the answer to
          > this. Even googling json+dummies or json+newbie didn't help. They all
          > write
          > about different parsers.
          >
          > If you could help me, I would be very grateful.

        • kylealanhale
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2011
            I want to clarify a couple of things that no one else seems to have
            addressed:
            * There is no such thing as "an external JSON-array"; JSON is just a
            data transfer format, or, more correctly, a data transfer notation
            (JavaScript Object Notation). What you described in your last post, of
            defining the array in a javascript file that you include in your page,
            is not JSON at all, just JavaScript.
            * You should never transfer JSON-encoded data as an array; this opens a
            security vulnerability (see
            http://directwebremoting.org/blog/joe/2007/03/05/json_is_not_as_safe_as_\
            people_think_it_is.html for a good summary of the issue); instead,
            always enclose it in an object. So instead of your data looking like
            [{"key1": "value1"}, {"key2": "value2"}...], make it look like {"list":
            [{"key1": "value1"}, {"key2": "value2"}...]}.
            * You should also never use eval(), for reasons that have been explained
            extensively elsewhere, including several times by the brainfather of
            JSON himself, and in the very Wikipedia article you quoted from
            originally <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON#Security_issues>. Instead
            use JSON.parse, which is standard in all major browsers now.
            * If you want to get a JavaScript object from a JSON-encoded source
            while working from the browser, you will invariably use XHR (AJAX, if
            you must). The method you posted is exactly how you would do that, with
            the exception that you'd probably want to do it asynchronously and
            handle the data in a callback, rather than procedurally. Also, if you
            use a JavaScript framework, it will generally make your life much easier
            and your code much cleaner. A jQuery example:
            $.getJSON('http://www.mysite.no/services/product/list/', function(data)
            { $.each(data.list, function (index, listItem) { // Do something
            which each item in the list });});
            Note that this function takes care of (safely) decoding your
            JSON-encoded data so that you can handle it as a native JavaScript
            object. See http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.getJSON/ and
            http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.ajax/ for more details.
            * While there are exceptions to all of these, and things I have left
            out, this is a good starting place for best-practices, I think.